Ball bearing for output differential series 3 - Help needed

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Rui
Portugal

#1 Ball bearing for output differential series 3 - Help needed

Post by Rui » Tue May 04, 2021 7:31 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know where in UK can I source a replacement for the differential output shaft of a Series 3 ?

They are not anlylonger made, reference is SKF 41444 , which has a 29mm width with double ball rollers . Some suppliers have a replacement that it is 2mm thiner but need shimming , but I only found replacement kits in the US Therry jaguar parts, with include the 27 mm roller bearing and the inner and outer shims.

I started a discussion on this in

https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/final-d ... /406010/16

But I found no solution in Europe, which is weird as this should be a relatively common problem.

Many thanks for any pointers :thankyouyellow:

Kind regards
Rui

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Ball bearing for output differential series 3 - Help needed

Post by mgcjag » Tue May 04, 2021 7:44 pm

Hi Rui......Iv been watching your posts over on Jag lovers.....as you say the original double ball bearing is no longer available....SNGB do an after market replacement including the shims but its on back order.....however i replaced the complete o/p shafts for the later options with taper bearings.....the extra advantage of a much better oil seal arrangement with no shiming...I obtained mine from Alan Swawson...very well known to the forum as one of the best diff builders..already set up and fitted with new bearings and seals.....the other option is to buy a later type diff from a breaker/second hand dealer and use the output shafts..the bearings and seals are readily available..Steve http://www.ajsengineering.com/
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Rui
Portugal

#3 Re: Ball bearing for output differential series 3 - Help needed

Post by Rui » Wed May 05, 2021 10:19 am

Many thanks Steve,

I will check with Alan. My Differential is in such a good shape (or at least it seems) that it will be a shame replacing it for any other unit, also because the car is so original . I will contact Alan , I was in contact with Roger a couple of years ago on EFI transformations. (PS edit: Sorry i was confusing with AJ6 engineering !)

Will there be no major drawbacks i may opt for the 27mm shimmed solution, the LH side is in perfect conditions and it is kind of a pity (and expense) to replace both.

Will update soon.

Kind regards
Rui

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Ball bearing for output differential series 3 - Help needed

Post by mgcjag » Wed May 05, 2021 10:25 am

I Rui......i have replaced the bearings in the type 3 diff with the replacements available from SNGB etc.....they worked ok...however i could not stop oil leaks........so opted for the later type of output shaft set up with taper bearings and a much better seal arrangement.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic