Best windscreen fitters in Surrey ...??

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
265bhp
Great Britain

#1 Best windscreen fitters in Surrey ...??

Post by 265bhp » Sat May 08, 2021 7:45 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations please..the Pilkingtons screen should arrive soon and I don’t want it wasted on amateurs... :shock:

Thanks
Jonathan
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#2 Re: Best windscreen fitters in Surrey ...??

Post by MarekH » Sun May 09, 2021 9:26 am

Try Howard from Merlin Motorscreens on Cranleigh 277792
kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
265bhp
Great Britain

#3 Re: Best windscreen fitters in Surrey ...??

Post by 265bhp » Sun May 09, 2021 1:35 pm

Thanks Marek
Screen should be here in a couple of weeks...I am in two mins whether to try myself..having watched a you tube video it doesn’t look difficult...just daunting if it breaks... :cry:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#4 Re: Best windscreen fitters in Surrey ...??

Post by johnetype » Sun May 09, 2021 6:27 pm

When my fitter turned up to fit the windscreen I offered him a cup of tea and he said he'd have the screen in before I'd made the tea - and he had :wow: So fitting the screen and the locking strip is not that hard as long as you're using a new rubber from the likes of Baines etc.

Likewise the screen is incredibly strong and mine despite being 30 years old and quite tight withstood a lot of palm of hand firm smacking and pushing.

The part that did take the time and I'd suggest more expertise was fitting the chrome surrounds. Overall I think I paid just over £100 to fit front and rear screens. Money well spent in my view.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Javelin
Great Britain

#5 Re: Best windscreen fitters in Surrey ...??

Post by Javelin » Mon May 10, 2021 6:25 pm

If you are fitting the screens yourself, use a good quality sealer, first run it round/inside the glass apeture then insert the glass into the rubber, then flip the screen over so it is laying on its front face and run the sealer round the edge of the rubber where it fits into the car window apeture, use plenty! string the rubber up using a good strong 3/16th rope (Leave the overlapping ends at the top of the screen). Idealy one person eather side to place the screen onto the car and line it up, firmly pressing into place. One person inside slowly pulling the string while the other outside presses firmly and using palms only, knock it into place, once it's strung in, gently check/press to confirm it's seated, DO NOT press in the centre of the screen, only at the edges!

Fitting the inserts use swarfega as a lubricant then clean the mess off, over the years I have done hundreds.
Steve
Technical Adviser to a :bigrin:
S1 2+2 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
265bhp
Great Britain

#6 Re: Best windscreen fitters in Surrey ...??

Post by 265bhp » Tue May 11, 2021 5:03 pm

Interesting...Steve you are saying first put rubber seal onto the glass windscreen and then into aperture...not rubber into the aperture and insert glass second..?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#7 Re: Best windscreen fitters in Surrey ...??

Post by Series1 Stu » Wed May 12, 2021 10:20 am

Intriguing way of doing it and definitely opposite to the jaguar service manual.

I've just fitted the rear screen on my FHC by following the manual and found it surprisingly satisfying to do. The worst part was fitting the new chrome strips which are only roughly the correct shape. :banghead:

I am now ready to fit my front screen but I don't think I'm brave enough to attempt it myself, even after the success of fitting the rear screen. Looking for recommendations of fitters in the Shropshire/Cheshire area.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Javelin
Great Britain

#8 Re: Best windscreen fitters in Surrey ...??

Post by Javelin » Thu May 13, 2021 8:26 pm

265bhp Yes, that is correct .. I worked for Lex late 70's and someone at BL came up with the idea of sealant free windscreens relying on drainage holes at the bottom of the window apeture, needless to say it did not work and I had a steady stream of popping out screens to reseal, Marina's Alegro's Triumph's etc .. and I was given a bonus price for each one I did, made a good wage from it.

Moved on to a Rover, Jaguar main dealers, same there. Moved to a windscreen replacement company fitting sunroofs and replacing/resealing windscreens and that is/was the ONLY way to fit glass into a rubber seal and into a window apeture.

Rubber is fitted round the glass, the sealant gun is applied round/between the glass and rubber, flip it over and apply sealant gun round the edge of the rubber that fits to the body, run the string/rope between the rubber flange and over lap it at the top of the screen, place onto vehicle, align, press firmly into place and de-string it from inside making sure it slips over the window flange. Put the rubber insert round the outside as that is what makes it solid and in the case of a S1, fit the chrome's over the rubber, clean off and job done!

I served my time at a company called Coleman & Milne making Hearses and Limousines from FORD vehicles and a couple of odd ball vehicles as well in the body shop, screens were fitted in the same way. The bonded screens are of course a completly different method.
Steve
S1 2+2 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Javelin
Great Britain

#9 Re: Best windscreen fitters in Surrey ...??

Post by Javelin » Thu May 13, 2021 8:35 pm

As an after thought, having re-read Stu's post,

I would not like to attempt to fit glass into a rubber that is placed in the apeture unless it is a very small glass, doing that with a front/large screen, you are in danger of bending/cracking the screen, also not a great way to get the sealant where you want it to go to do it's job.
Steve
S1 2+2 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#10 Re: Best windscreen fitters in Surrey ...??

Post by Series1 Stu » Thu May 13, 2021 9:44 pm

It's great to hear the voice of experience. Fantastic!

I've just watched Car SOS where they fitted a windscreen in a Hillman Imp using the method Steve described. Looked easy enough but it was a lot flatter than an E Type screen.

I still think I'll try to find an expert to do mine.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#11 Re: Best windscreen fitters in Surrey ...??

Post by mgcjag » Fri May 14, 2021 6:40 am

Iv fitted several large windscreens useing the String method in the past....it is as easy as Steve described......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

E600
Great Britain

#12 Re: Best windscreen fitters in Surrey ...??

Post by E600 » Sat May 15, 2021 5:28 am

Getting back to the OP, I have used Old School Windscreens in Longcross, near Chobham. They fitted my Low Drag screen in about 20 minutes, good guys and reasonable pricing.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
265bhp
Great Britain

#13 Re: Best windscreen fitters in Surrey ...??

Post by 265bhp » Sat May 15, 2021 4:30 pm

Chobham...sounds good...a bit closer to me....thanks... :salute:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic