Page 1 of 1

#1 Help with nuts and bolts

Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:45 pm
by myJagV12
Hello Jagies,
I had to rebuild my E (out of boxes mainly) and right now the engine is in the car airfilter housings, seats, mudshields, exhausts not yet on/in the car and I have plenty of spares for a complete engine (the original one).

But I have the dilemma that I still have about 5kgs of nuts, bolts, washers, spacers, ... and I would never know where they are missing. Most of them are standard bolts and for many i know they belong to the second engine.
Here are some rather specific ones that i have no use (yet) - does anyone have a hint where they are supposed to go ? I don't want it to fall apart :shrug:

Thank you !
Image

Edit: the 4 1/2" UNC probably go to the side of the block ?

#2 Re: Help with nuts and bolts

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:53 am
by Gfhug
Often a good source of information for all the nuts, bolts and other hardware is the parts catalogue from SC Parts. Note comments about them for delivery in other topics, but the catalogue is very useful to have.
Have you searched the knowledge base technical information section as that has very good details of parts catalogues for all Series?

Geoff

#3 Re: Help with nuts and bolts

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:01 am
by myJagV12
Hi Geoff,

Well these diagrams are my main source of information :D but I had a look at all schematics but could not figure out where these would go. I would need a reverse reference :smile:

My Jag is already a neverending story :lol:

#4 Re: Help with nuts and bolts

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:24 pm
by Robsan
Generally the UNC [ Unified Course] threaded bolts screw into alumium................ I believe ?

The nut is perhaps from the Battery positive stud connection located adjacent the battery. or is it from the alternator ?

Pointed bolts are usually difficult to start locations ie

Fuel tank fixing
Bumper brackets
Light fitting to body [front and back]

I hope this helps :salute:

#5 Re: Help with nuts and bolts

Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:58 pm
by myJagV12
Hi Rob,

Yes it seems they have used UNC with Alu almost only (although I found some UNC nuts too).
So these two bolts might belong to the second engine.
But the 5 have an 8mm spacer and 1" diameter rubber ring. I just can't figure out their use as yet (maybe air filter housings ?)
I will check if the HUGE nut goes somewhere around the alternator. It is rather thin (6mm) and needs a 1" wrench. Lights, tank and bumpers are already in place but you are correct pointed ones where used with the tank.
Thank you for your support !
Tom