cant rail curtain

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Stevejaguar
Great Britain

#1 cant rail curtain

Post by Stevejaguar » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:30 pm

Hi, is the 'curtain' that goes around the headlining on the sides of the roof that is held on place by the rubber tube glued to the steel or just held in place by the cant rail itself ?

Steve series1 2+2.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#2 Re: cant rail curtain

Post by Series1 Stu » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:14 pm

Hi

I glued mine in place. I don't think they would stay wrinkle free if not stuck down. I used Alpha AF178.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

265bhp
Great Britain

#3 Re: cant rail curtain

Post by 265bhp » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:26 am

+1..once the rubber insert edge has been pushed into the gap between roof and cant metalwork pull the felt gently downwards to remove all wrinkles..sometimes this needs the felt pulling fore / aft…especially around the rear corners. I used high temp contact adhesive from wayside adhesives..via eBay..great stuff..smear a reasonable amount on both the body and the felt ..about 15mm deep or so and glue/stick in sections….take your time..slice with fresh hobby knife afterwards…using the bodywork as the guide

All the best
Jonathan
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

265bhp
Great Britain

#4 Re: cant rail curtain

Post by 265bhp » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:29 am

265bhp wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:26 am
+1..once the rubber insert edge has been pushed into the gap between roof and cant metalwork pull the felt gently downwards to remove all wrinkles..sometimes this needs the felt pulling fore / aft…especially around the rear corners. I used high temp contact adhesive from wayside adhesives..via eBay..great stuff..smear a reasonable amount on both the body and the felt ..about 15mm deep or so and glue/stick in sections….take your time..slice with fresh hobby knife afterwards…using the bodywork as the guide

Ps..I firstly marked where the cut line was going to be with a marker pen, in sections….then I had a guide line to keep the application of glue as a neat band on the felt

All the best
Jonathan
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Stevejaguar
Great Britain

#5 Re: cant rail curtain

Post by Stevejaguar » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:28 am

Thanks everybody who has replied. Once the headlining is in to which I m not looking forward, I will tackle the curtains.
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#6 Re: cant rail curtain

Post by Series1 Stu » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:37 pm

Good luck Steve.

To be honest, I found fitting the headliner was easier than fitting the side curtains. My headliner material came with the backing foam already on (it came from BAS). We drew centre lines on both headliner and roof both longitudinally and laterally. It was then just a case of applying the adhesive to both roof and material and, when dried, line up the marked lines and off you go. I used a wallpapering brush to smooth the headliner onto the roof. Trim off the excess and tuck the edges behind the cantrail sheet metal.

Then it's the side curtains.

Enjoy!
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic