Page 1 of 1

#1 Series 2 Sills

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:53 pm
by colinevans
:doh: Hi guys

Most of the body panels on my resto came from Robeys, but the sills were from SNG, bought a while ago before the job became a full restoration. We installed the LH sill a couple of weeks ago, then went to fit the RH one yesterday and noticed that they were different. The installed LH one is plain, the RH one has drain holes front and back. I have had a quick read up and it looks like drain holes were introduced on some S1.5’s and are on all S2’s. SNG are saying that it can be either, and that they have no more with drain holes and can only send me another plain one to match the one we have installed. I don’t want to fit two incorrect sills and I am not convinced that what they are saying is right. Can anyone confirm which is correct for the S2 - drain holes or plain?
Thanks in advance, Colin.

#2 Re: Series 2 Sills

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:33 pm
by angelw
Hello Colin,
It would help if you were to post a picture of the drain holes. Typically, they are a formed shape that has an outlet; I'll take a picture when next I'm at the workshop and Post it here. It's my understanding that the shaped outlet is correct for the S2 OTS. If the water outlet is the shaped style that I'll Post a picture of, it is not a difficult feature to reproduce by hand.

Its my understanding that the sill sold by SNGB originated from Robey. We gave up using these years ago and make our own. Typically, we can make and fit a sill (properly) in less time than it takes to fit the after market units we've tried.

Regards,

Bill

#3 Re: Series 2 Sills

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:26 am
by mgcjag
Hi Colin....this will help.....lots of detail on sill,s Steve https://www.monocoque-metalworks.com/ma ... available/

#4 Re: Series 2 Sills

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:10 am
by colinevans
Hi Bill and Steve
Thanks for your help. I did read that previous article before I posted Steve, that’s what made me think it was wrong. Bill, your description is spot on, they are formed holes with an outlet. Unfortunately SNG only have plain ones now and despite the fact they have supplied a mismatched pair they are being pretty unhelpful. There’s no way we are going to unpick the plain nearside sill we fitted as that side is pretty much complete now, so if SNG had had one with the drains were were going to cut them out and weld them in. We might need to make some up now. Or just install a plain one on the offside and accept that purists won’t like it. The car is a keeper anyway so that’s not an issue for me.
Interestingly one of my mates is at Revival this weekend and as a favour he has checked out the sills on every Etype he has seen. Looks like a right muddle, with no rhyme or reason to which cars have the sills with drains and which are plain. Probably because its such a small detail and the main suppliers don’t seem to know the difference I guess.
Cheers, Colin.

#5 Re: Series 2 Sills

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:13 am
by mgcjag
Hi Colin....im supprised SNG are unhelpefull.....Julian the MD does use the forum...you could contact him via pm

#6 Re: Series 2 Sills

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:21 am
by colinevans
Hi Steve. I’m trying not to go down that route as I hate it when it happens in my business, but thanks, point noted!
They are normally ok tbf so I’ll speak to them again tomorrow before I do anything else.

#7 Re: Series 2 Sills

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:10 pm
by angelw
Hello Colin,
Following are pictures of the Front and Rear Drain holes of the sill for an S2 OTS and FHC. The first picture below is of the Front Drain hole.

Image

Image

Both of these are easily formed by hand if they don't exist in the sills you have.

Regards,

Bill

#8 Re: Series 2 Sills

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:18 am
by colinevans
Thanks Bill. That matches one of the ones they sent me, unfortunately not the installed one. A lot easier to form before installation, but we'll get round it!
Cheers, Colin.