Toothed roof lining retainer

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Stevejaguar
Great Britain

#1 Toothed roof lining retainer

Post by Stevejaguar » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:56 pm

I have just fitted the new toothed curtain retaining strips to my series 1 2+2. They seem too close to the roof to be able to push anything into the teeth. Does the curtain just get stretched over the the roof and get pushed onto the teeth? Is there anything else that goes in there as well? If there is which goes in first?
Steve
Attachments
IMG_20211006_193141.jpg
IMG_20211006_193141.jpg (97.85 KiB) Viewed 1155 times

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#2 Re: Toothed roof lining retainer

Post by Series1 Stu » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:15 pm

Hi Steve

Have your attached them using screws (I think I can see a screw head in your photo)? They should be attached using small pop rivets, 1/16" or 3/32" maybe.

Have you used aftermarket parts? The profile looks very different to mine, although mine is a FHC, not a 2+2.

I did my headlining earlier this year and, when it came to these parts, cut the fabric so I would have about half an inch to tuck into the gap between roof and gripper. On mine the teeth are pointing forward (towards the front of the car) more that yours appear to be. I eased the gripper away from the roof a little to tuck the fabric in. Once in, I knocked it back with the heel of my hand.

It's a painstaking job, lying on your back with the boot floor seam digging into your shoulders but when you get it done and that dome light goes back in you get a massive sense of achievement.

Good luck with it.

Regards

PS just the fabric goes in there.
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Stevejaguar
Great Britain

#3 Re: Toothed roof lining retainer

Post by Stevejaguar » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:40 pm

Thanks Stuart that explains a few things.
What is the best way of fitting the curtain? Do I push it into the gap bertween the side and the roof and then push the rubber into the curtain?
Do I start from the front of the car and work round past the interior light to the front at the other side of the car or does the curtain join at the light ?
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#4 Re: Toothed roof lining retainer

Post by Series1 Stu » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:32 pm

Hi Steve

That's a great question. My curtains came in 2 parts, left and right and meeting at the interior light. I think others are a single piece.

Again, mine came with the rubber tube stitched into the fabric. It was an absolute pig of a job to get in between the 2 panels. I had to feed it in from close to the interior light and push/pull/drag it all the way to the front of the car. Getting it around the rear corners was a nightmare because there is a joint in the panel which causes the fabric to snag as it gets drawn forward. I believe some people manage to push/beat the tube between the 2 skins but that wasn't going to work with my car. It was a difficult and frustrating job that took a weekend to complete.

Once in place it's a matter of smoothing it out and gluing it down. The rear corners are the trickiest because of the compound curves involved. Use the neighbouring trim parts to guide you as to where to end the fabric.

Sharp scissors and knives are the order of the day. Oh, and a lot of patience and morale support helps.

I assume your already have the foam backed fabric on the roof?

Good luck
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic