Page 1 of 1

#1 Jack storage

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:21 pm
by Brewer
Can anyone advise me on where to store the jack and mallet in my 1972 OTS? The manual says in clips in the boot - there ARE no clips in the boot. Fully collapsed, the jack will barely fit atop the spare (wire) wheel, but I'm afraid it may damage the chrome plating. Help will be appreciated!

#2 Re: Jack storage

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:27 pm
by Mark Gordon
If you don't have the bag for the jack, get one. It will protect the wheel from scratches.

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/us ... Down=false

The OTS has such little storage space that it's imperative that the jack, mallet, tool roll, etc. be stored in the spare tire well. A surprising amount of tools and spare parts can be packed inside and around the wheel which is mounted with the inside of the wheel facing upward.

#3 Re: Jack storage

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:59 pm
by Signmman
When stowed in bag (jack and wrench, hammer, brass knock off socket) fit easily into wheel with a roll up toolkit beside it.

#4 Re: Jack storage

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:06 am
by Brewer
Thanks for the reply. Would love pictures if you have any. I have managed to fit the jack in the wheel well but doubt much else will fit.

Image

#5 Re: Jack storage

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:15 am
by Brewer
Mark, thanks, but when I store the wheel inside up, the securing device (bolt? flange?) is too long to anchor the spare tire tightly. I have to believe it was meant to be stored outside up. I've been able to store the jack atop the wheel (see picture) but I'm surprised Jaguar doesn't give directions in either the owners' manual or service manual, normally a fount of information... Currently stowing the jack handle as shown; come Spring I'll know if it rattles...
Image

Image

#6 Re: Jack storage

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:03 am
by Allrand
I don't think that's the correct securing bolt.

#7 Re: Jack storage

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:40 am
by malcolm
I think the wheels is the wrong way up. Securing bolt and stowage work with the wheel inside up.

#8 Re: Jack storage

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:20 am
by mgcjag
Looks like the original poster has a S3 ots. You can see the fuel filter.....i think his spare is correct being this way up...the S3 has a much longer wheel clamp....and different from S1 S2 cars ........would help if original poster put his car model in the signature area......Steve

#9 Re: Jack storage

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:44 pm
by dxke38
Looking at the fuel pipe connections it definitely looks like a series one Steve, so just seems to have a series three wheel retaining bolt which is too long.

#10 Re: Jack storage

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:56 pm
by dxke38
My bad Steve, you're right, the filter shows its a ser 3.

#11 Re: Jack storage

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:48 pm
by Gfhug
The OP describes it as a 1972 OTS, kind of suggests S3. But it would be nice of him (and all others) to include this info in their signature.

Geoff

#12 Re: Jack storage

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:30 pm
by Herblay
I’m having problems trying to store the jack, the toolkit and the hammer. The toolkit and the hammer stores well but there is no way to put the jack inside the spare wheel (face down) Everything I got is original, and my car is a FHC 3.8 S1. May I see someone’s pictures showing the placement?

#13 Re: Jack storage

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:52 am
by caveman
My FHC has the jack placed like the photographs above as it’s the deepest part of the boot. Like you, my spare wheel is upside down with all the tools spares either inside the wheel or placed carefully around outside of tyre. You will have a little less room if you have a bigger spare wheel, mine is standard 185 15.

#14 Re: Jack storage

Posted: Mon May 19, 2025 11:27 pm
by ElliottEwing
I bought my 1974XKE OTS about a year ago, and could never figure out where to stow the Jack, wire wheel knock off tool, and the hammer. I tried to mount the wheel with the outside down to make more room, and the hold down bolt was too long. Baffled, I asked a renowned Jaguar expert, and he said that the spare went outside down on the six-cylinder cars and outside up on the V12 cars. That makes total sense why you guys are having this confusion. No idea why Jaguar would switch it, but then again it’s Jaguar!

Scottie E.
1974 XKE OTS V12 Roadster
1994 XJS V12 Coupe w/6 speed manual
1995 XJS V12 Convertible

#15 Re: Jack storage

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2025 10:09 am
by JerryL770
If you are a stickler for originality, you will keep your original Jaguar jack. I have mine but I prefer practicality and leave it in the garage.

Instead I bought a BMW 3 series jack off ebay for little money. The Porsche jack is similar and aluminium so lighter. Some cuts in the plastic lift pad allow it to slot over the jacking point of the cill and it is quick and easy to lift your car for wheel changing - no ridiculous ratchet! Another bonus I have found is that the jack will fit in the RHS of the wheel well, beside the spare, thus leaving more space of other bits.

#16 Re: Jack storage

Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2025 10:40 am
by kevh
Where should the S3 OTS jack be stowed? I cannot fit mine in the spare wheel well with the wheel correctly mounted outside up and I keep it in the boot/trunk, I would be surprised if this is how it should be.