Page 1 of 1

#1 Transmission tunnel assembly query

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:19 pm
by Simonpfhc
Hi all,

I’m in the middle of a series 1.5 restoration and have a question about a new transmission tunnel from Martin Robey. The panel in question is the tunnel that covers the propshaft. just wanted to get some opinions about the purpose of the square panel at base at the rear of the tunnel. It is only connected at one side and, as far as I can see, just another place to collect moisture. Is it there for strengthening?? I am inclined to remove it.


Image

#2 Re: Transmission tunnel assembly query

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:55 pm
by Geoff Allam
It is a moisture trap and rusts badly if just welded in. A better procedure is to bond it into place with one of the structural automotive epoxies. If you are not an originality stickler you might consider bonding the whole tunnel in and supplement with structural steel rivets (huck bolt's). That will completely seal the whole length of the tunnel and is extremely strong. The unattached section was welded on my old one when I removed it. I would guess it us unattached for ease of fitting it through the rear bulkhead and should eventually be welded or bonded.

#3 Re: Transmission tunnel assembly query

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:39 pm
by abowie
Geoff Allam wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:55 pm
. I would guess it us unattached for ease of fitting it through the rear bulkhead and should eventually be welded or bonded.
I assume this is the reason as well. And to allow for variations in shell measurements. You fit it then weld it in place.

#4 Re: Transmission tunnel assembly query

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:05 pm
by Simonpfhc
Cheers guy, appreciated.

I think I’m going to remove it. Can’t see any benefit as it won’t really add any strength as the main rear strengthener bracket is directly below it and it’s just going to collect moisture.