Page 1 of 1

#1 Small electrical problem??

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:38 pm
by JerryL770
I have fitted a low oil pressure warning light with the pressure switch Tee'd on above the oil filter.

I decided that instead of having a separate light, I could combine it with the choke warning light. So I arranged for the oil switch to provide an earth and ran the old white/brown oil pressure signal wire to the light with a separate power supply for this from Fuse 7. The choke warning light power seems to come from a green to the switch, through the light to a separate earth. This was working fine till the 2A fuse I have in the oil light switch power supply failed for some reason. A lot of faffing about till I found that, fixed it and the oil light works, but now the choke light has failed and there is no power to the switch from the green wire which disappears into the back of the dash to who knows where. The problem with this is that I cannot find the choke light/switch indicated in the Coventry Auto Components wiring diagrams anywhere :questionmarks:

Advice appreciated, thanks.

#2 Re: Small electrical problem??

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:27 pm
by DWW
It is difficult to quite follow how you went about this mod. My only suggestion is to revert back to stock, find whether the fault still exists, diagnose and fix and then re-think the mod. On yor legend what was the blown fuse powering?

#3 Re: Small electrical problem??

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:29 pm
by rswaffie
Hi Jerome
In terms of the Coventry diagrams, have you looked at the colour wiring diagram in the kb - it shows the switch/lamp.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dx7f9jvz6pvca ... r.jpg?dl=1

#4 Re: Small electrical problem??

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:34 pm
by MSM
Try page 3 and page 7 top right hand corner!!

#5 Re: Small electrical problem??

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:37 pm
by JerryL770
Stupid of me really.

Think I did as you suggested and looked at the main fuses and 7 is blown. I must have allowed a short circuit whilst having both hands inside the dashboard. :oops:

New 35A fuse has sorted it.

#6 Re: Small electrical problem??

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:39 pm
by JerryL770
MSM wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:34 pm
Try page 3 and page 7 top right hand corner!!
Absolutely right thank you. I did not look there assuming it would be shown on one of the detail pages.

#7 Re: Small electrical problem??

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:29 pm
by Series1 Stu
JerryL770 wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:37 pm
Stupid of me really.


New 35A fuse has sorted it.
Rule 1 of poking about behind your dashboard - Always disconnect the battery earth before you start. There are so many risks involved in electrical work. Keep yourself and your car safe.

Regards

#8 Re: Small electrical problem??

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:58 am
by lowact
Couldn't understand yr explanation, hoping you did it like this ...
Image

#9 Re: Small electrical problem??

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:27 am
by JerryL770
lowact wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:58 am
Couldn't understand yr explanation, hoping you did it like this ...
Image
Thank you Colin. It has taken me a lot of head scratching to try to get this working and your diagram shows me how I've got it only half right and probably why my fuses are blown. Possibly because I was changing it from 2 separate circuits/lights to the one light/divided earths circuit that I should have done. Possibly because the Jag circuit takes the choke light power to the switch, then light and earth and I was adapting the wiring to try to suit. I really confused myself!

I shall hastily re-arrange the wiring after I disconnect the battery, another salient point.

Thank you both.