Page 1 of 1

#1 Identifying torsion bars

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:19 pm
by phoenix
Hi guys I have the choice of two sets of torsion bars .(S1 4.2 FHC)
One stamped 850 measuring .85 inch or 21.9 mm diameter which I think is standard
and the other C933 .77 inch or 19.6 mm
Can anyone enlighten me further Thanks .
I am thinking of leaving it with standard bars anyway.
I used to race cars and know how harsh uprating thigs can make it. I.E. Poly bushes

#2 Re: Identifying torsion bars

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:33 am
by mgcjag
Bryan.......torsion bar details are in the Jag service manual....and part numbers in tbe parts catalogue....but I assume you know thet they are marked left & right so dont mix tbem up.....Steve

#3 Re: Identifying torsion bars

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:55 am
by Series1 Stu
That's funny. I thought you had the torsion bars fitted since you were asking about reaction plate removal when taking out the engine.

Check the part numbers. I'm not sure but I would suggest that maybe the larger diameter ones are for V12 cars and would check the parts and service manuals for both.

Regards

#4 Re: Identifying torsion bars

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:21 pm
by phoenix
It was fitted until we discovered we could not get the rebuilt (not by me and 10 years ago) engine to idle. I said lets do a compression test . 165 165 45 165 165 165 . The engine had been left standing without being turned over and the piston rings on number three cylinder had rusted a 1/32 circular ring in the bore. it has new pistons in so I will take to the engineers to see what he suggests . Maybe sleeve number three and bore to 20 thou as the other five . Any suggestions guys you are more knowledgeable than me .

#5 Re: Identifying torsion bars

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:18 pm
by mgcjag
"Any Suggestions ".....yes.....start a new thread on pistons.....its much easier for others who search in the future..this thread it Torsion bars.....Steve