Ball Joint Retainers C22970

Technical advice Q&A
User avatar

Topic author
44DHR
Posts: 613
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:32 pm
Location: Fishbourne Isle of Wight
Great Britain

#1 Ball Joint Retainers C22970

Post by 44DHR » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:00 pm

Just doing some maintenance ready for the new season and changing out my steering and front suspension ball joint covers.
On the top and bottom ball joints there are “Ball Joint Gaiter Retaining Rings” shown on my regular parts supplier website as Part Number C22970. I have got some of these clear plastic rings, but the question is are these absolutely necessary ?
My top and bottom wishbones already have a form of groove to which I have always fitted the retaining clip and to try to pass these plastic rings over the top of these castings seems very tight, if at all possible.
Just wondered, as I don’t believe these are shown in the original Jaguar descriptions, but are perhaps needed if over eager hammering to split the ball joint destroys the original groove in the casting ?
Also I have the original black rubber type of joint covers as well as some of the more modern clear plastic type. Just wondered if people thought one is more durable than the other before I choose which type to fit.
Regards,
Dave
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

mgcjag
Moderator
Posts: 9243
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Ludlow Shropshire
Great Britain

#2 Re: Ball Joint Retainers C22970

Post by mgcjag » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:04 pm

Hi Dave.....the black gaiters I have used fit straight to the Grove in the wishbone etc.....the clear plastic gaiters have a wider top so need the retainer ring as a kind of reducer..I have used the clear ones and yes the ring is tight..it does stretch and fit..have a very close look at the ring because it fits better one way up than the other it's not a symmetrical ring if you look at it side on.. Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic