Pretty sure. Both my 3.8s are set up like that and in over a dozen S1 E Type restorations it's the only way I've seen them.
The bracket mounts to the two 3/8" bolts that go through the timing cover on the LHS. The tensioner goes on the inside. See picture below. This is a S2 motor but it was all I could find quickly.
WRT shredding the belts, if your pulleys aren't exactly aligned (better than 1mm) the belt will wear excessively. You will need to fix this.
If you are using a W belt (not sure when they changed to these from V belts) there have been bad ones in recent years that only last a few 100 miles. You could try a different vendor.
You don't actually need the tensioner. I have removed it on one of my 3.8s and it was never fitted on my MK2. If you use a 1030mm belt there is enough adjustment in the generator to keep the belt tight. My 3.8 has 1000s of km on it and no belt failure so far.

Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1979 MGB (supercharged).
Adelaide, Australia