Manual steering rack , tie rod play.

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Pex
Sweden

#1 Manual steering rack , tie rod play.

Post by Pex » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:14 pm

I rebuild almost all suspension/ steering 2020, but I didn’t do anything to the steering rack.
At the time I couldn’t notice any play on the removed steering rack but later when remounted I notice a little play on the steering wheel. It’s a little annoying since I sometimes have to compensate a little to make the car follow my direction.
I can’t notice any play on the steering column (all universal joints are new) but found today, car standing on thefloor, that there are play in the right tie rod when I move the rod up and down which isn’t possible on the left side.
Is it possible to tighten up the tie rod, there is a spring but is it a fixed mounting or can I tighten the “ball housing nut” without taking the whole rack out?
//Peter
1969 Serie 2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: Manual steering rack , tie rod play.

Post by abowie » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:34 pm

Yes you can tighten the nut. If you break the lock tab I believe they can be had from the usuals.

This might help, although if the problem is caused by asymmetric wear on the ball it also might not.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#3 Re: Manual steering rack , tie rod play.

Post by Allrand » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:56 pm

I presume it's a rhd. Is it the tie rod or the end of the inner rack that moves up & down? If it's the rack it can be adjusted but adding shims under the removable cap above the rack at the input shaft end.
Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dlgis
Great Britain

#4 Re: Manual steering rack , tie rod play.

Post by dlgis » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:19 pm

On my rack the problem was the springs that had shortened over time and lost some of their springyness. The cup and the large housing nut were fine, and although I had purchased new cups they are now supplied as plastic/nylon replacements and we preferred the look of the metal originals.
Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CliveR
Great Britain

#5 Re: Manual steering rack , tie rod play.

Post by CliveR » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:21 am

dlgis wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:19 pm
although I had purchased new cups they are now supplied as plastic/nylon replacements and we preferred the look of the metal originals
Obviously I don't know what material your plastic replacements are, but if they were the Teflon typically used in quality joints you might find it worth fitting them for a trial. They usually give lower break-away friction than steel on steel, so less resistance to initial motion which would show as a more fluid response at the start of a turn. Smoother turns, less of a "threepenny bit" motion.
(Assumption that most owners are old enough to decode that description....)
Clive

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dlgis
Great Britain

#6 Re: Manual steering rack , tie rod play.

Post by dlgis » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:01 am

Thanks for the advice Clive, I’ll see how the steering feels when it’s up and running in a few weeks and go from there. And yes i do remember the threepenny bit, occasionally found under a Christmas pud 😁
Darryl
1964 S1 FHC 3.8 opalescent maroon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CliveR
Great Britain

#7 Re: Manual steering rack , tie rod play.

Post by CliveR » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:56 am

dlgis wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:01 am
Thanks for the advice Clive, I’ll see how the steering feels when it’s up and running in a few weeks and go from there. And yes i do remember the threepenny bit, occasionally found under a Christmas pud 😁
Arguably my greatest career achievement was getting the term "threepenny bit feel" included in the steering section on the vehicle evaluation sheet of a major Chinese car company. I think they were just humouring the crazy dabizi (big nose) in the corner.
Clive

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dxke38
Great Britain

#8 Re: Manual steering rack , tie rod play.

Post by dxke38 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:53 pm

If its a LHD car then it could be wear in the bronze bush that the rack slides through on the right side allowing it to move up and down and it will require replacement.
Derek
64 ser 1 fhc, 71 ser 3 2+2. Ser 3 now sold, looking for a new toy to keep Ser 1 company

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Pex
Sweden

#9 Re: Manual steering rack , tie rod play.

Post by Pex » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:53 am

Sorry for slow response but haven’t had time to scrutinize the problem, it’s a LH driven car without power steering. The plan is to wait until our short Swedish summer season has ended and then remove and try replace worn parts and rebuild it. Thanks for the input, will probably lift this thread when I start working on it.
//Peter
1969 Serie 2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Pex
Sweden

#10 Re: Manual steering rack , tie rod play.

Post by Pex » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:54 pm

I couldn't leave it so I started to really check where the play occurred and it's actually the rubber on the steering rack mounting that moves a lot before the wheels turn. To soft maybe but I will change to polyurethane just to get rid of that problem. Still, there is a little noticeable play in the steering rack itself which I will address later. Now I have more serious problem since the car doesn't crank due to a defect starter motor :seeingstars:
//Peter
1969 Serie 2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#11 Re: Manual steering rack , tie rod play.

Post by Allrand » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:52 pm

The mounts are quite flexible, did you install the bolts with friction washers which limit the movement of the mounts? If not they will shear off with disastrous results.
Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#12 Re: Manual steering rack , tie rod play.

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:31 pm

The steering rack mounts should be attached with a safety system of spacers and large washers so that in the event of the mounts delaminating you still have steering.....details with very good photos are here on the forum...Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic