Winder mechanism

Technical advice Q&A

angelw
Australia

#21 Re: Winder mechanism

Post by angelw » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:03 pm

Hello Chris,
Your car being an S1.5, with the internal door lock handle proud of the door trim, the window winder mechanism can be assembled either way as shown in pictures of the two alternatives in my earlier Post. The reason for this is that the Remote Bar from Door Lock Handle to Door Lock, is on the outside of the door frame.

In fact, I believe that the original configuration for S1 and S1.5 cars is as shown in the first picture in my previous Post, the configuration that won't work with either S2 2+2 or all S3 cars. I suspect also this is where the error in the parts and workshop manuals came about.

For certain, the scroll spring should tighten as the window is wound down and therefore, the tail of the spring must be tethered at the bottom of the restraining lug.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chris45
Great Britain

#22 Re: Winder mechanism

Post by chris45 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:46 pm

angelw wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:03 pm
Hello Chris,
Your car being an S1.5, with the internal door lock handle proud of the door trim, the window winder mechanism can be assembled either way as shown in pictures of the two alternatives in my earlier Post. The reason for this is that the Remote Bar from Door Lock Handle to Door Lock, is on the outside of the door frame.

In fact, I believe that the original configuration for S1 and S1.5 cars is as shown in the first picture in my previous Post, the configuration that won't work with either S2 2+2 or all S3 cars. I suspect also this is where the error in the parts and workshop manuals came about.

For certain, the scroll spring should tighten as the window is wound down and therefore, the tail of the spring must be tethered at the bottom of the restraining lug.

Regards,

Bill
Thanks for the replies Bill and Steve.
I've just checked and the configuration in my car, S1.5, is the same as the "correct for S2 cars" layout as in your second photo.
So I just need to remove the spring and replace it correctly. The window winder mechanism always felt too stiff so maybe this will help.
Thanks again.
Chris
Chris
E-Type, RHD, S1.5, 2+2, 1968. Owned since 1977

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#23 Re: Winder mechanism

Post by angelw » Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:27 pm

Chris Wrote:
I've just checked and the configuration in my car, S1.5, is the same as the "correct for S2 cars" layout as in your second photo.
So I just need to remove the spring and replace it correctly. The window winder mechanism always felt too stiff so maybe this will help.
Hello Chris,
I suspect the way the spring got to be upside down, is that the Window Winder Mechanisms were assembled in the wrong doors to which they previously resided. As mentioned in my last Post, I believe the original assembly for S1/S1,5 cars was as per my first picture, in my first Post (incorrect for S2 2+2 and S3 Cars).

If you were to swap the Window Winder Mechanisms from your doors, Left for Right and vice versa, the scroll spring would be tethered on the correct side of the restraining lug without actually moving the spring.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chris45
Great Britain

#24 Re: Winder mechanism

Post by chris45 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:19 pm

angelw wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:27 pm
Chris Wrote:
Hello Chris,
I suspect the way the spring got to be upside down, is that the Window Winder Mechanisms were assembled in the wrong doors to which they previously resided. As mentioned in my last Post, I believe the original assembly for S1/S1,5 cars was as per my first picture, in my first Post (incorrect for S2 2+2 and S3 Cars).

If you were to swap the Window Winder Mechanisms from your doors, Left for Right and vice versa, the scroll spring would be tethered on the correct side of the restraining lug without actually moving the spring.

Regards,

Bill
Thanks Bill
I'll give it some thought and take the easiest route.
Regards
Chris
Chris
E-Type, RHD, S1.5, 2+2, 1968. Owned since 1977

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

colinevans
Great Britain

#25 Re: Winder mechanism

Post by colinevans » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:25 pm

Steve, where exactly did you locate your washer to take up the free play. Here’s my pic, looks slightly different to yours.
Regards Colin.
Colin
Series 2 OTS, 280SL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#26 Re: Winder mechanism

Post by mgcjag » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:03 pm

Hi Colin....look back at the photo i posted an it should be clear. ...i put the washer on the shaft that the handle fits to.....a different unit to yours but does the rest of the internals in the cup shaped houseing in your photo come out....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

colinevans
Great Britain

#27 Re: Winder mechanism

Post by colinevans » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:22 pm

Hi Steve, thanks. I guess they must come out but they are sprung (you can just about see the tang) so haven’t messed about with them at this point. It might be a fight to get them back in. But I think the only place I could washer is behind those internals as I need to push the whole set up forward to lose the free play.
Regards Colin
Colin
Series 2 OTS, 280SL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#28 Re: Winder mechanism

Post by mgcjag » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:42 pm

Uh.....yes i can see that large spring in the cup...so very different to mine..let us know how you get on and whats in there.....cheers....ps...i know someone had already opened mine.....now i look at it there could have been a similar spring......but im not going to open the good one to find out....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

colinevans
Great Britain

#29 Re: Winder mechanism

Post by colinevans » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:44 pm

Will do Steve thanks
Colin
Series 2 OTS, 280SL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#30 Re: Winder mechanism

Post by mgcjag » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:16 am

I see that SNGB have the "cup" small cog section as a repair item https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/UK ... 0ab88baba2
Also found this interesting artical of "cup" internals.....its almost identical to my xk150 winder and i can now see there should be a spring fitted that oncoils and acts as a "brake shoe would inside the cup" rather than just friction that i have increased by adding a washer....Steve http://www.da7c.co.uk/technical_torque_ ... anism.html
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

colinevans
Great Britain

#31 Re: Winder mechanism

Post by colinevans » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:36 am

Thanks Steve, the large spring in the cup obviously does the same job as the missing one in yours. Think I’ll try the SNGB replacement and pull the other one apart anyway.
Colin
Series 2 OTS, 280SL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
mgcjag
Great Britain

#32 Re: Winder mechanism

Post by mgcjag » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:36 am

So now i know there is supposed to be a spring in the cup i had a search. .....Morris Minor mechanism looks very similar so plenty cheap on ebay to possibly scavange parts from......Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic