Aligning OTS boot lid

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Gfhug
Great Britain

#1 Aligning OTS boot lid

Post by Gfhug » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:01 pm

Is it conventional to put a small child with spanners, sockets, etc. in an OTS boot then push down on the various corners of the lid and shout at the child when and where to tighten up the nuts and bolts?

I certainly could have done with one, or a short in stature apprentice, as every time I adjusted one corner another went out of alignment. :roll:

Then when it still wouldn't go fully down far enough at the forward corners realising that shims would be needed under the hinges where attached to the body. Fortunately Simon (288gto) had sent me some spare stainless ones from when he was working on his car. (Though I also found that the bonnet fork-like shims do the job as well.)

Well after three days I’ve got it looking quite decent. And a much better fit than a PO had done, for he had relied on a thick skim, no call it a thick layer of filler all over the lid. And where people had hit the lid to get it to latch there were the expected dents, filler was used instead of gentle pressure from inside which has done the job!

A hot air gun was used to help remove the filler, not just on the boot but rear wings as well. And it’s surprising how many dents popped back into shape with the use of heat. The filler measured over 6mm deep in places :banghead:

Restoring an E Type is an education, not simply on how to do new tasks but how not to do what a PO has done in the past. And in wishing that PO had known better and saved you many hours of unnecessary work!

Ah well, onwards and upwards.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#2 Re: Aligning OTS boot lid

Post by DWW » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:39 pm

Funny enough today I decided to tackle the rear hatch on my FHC, it was always slightly crooked since restoration or more precisely since the interior was done. The result was that the side opposite the hinges was sinking causing an uneven gap to show itself along the top. That also resulted in a permanent squeak from the rear as the door was pressing against the bottom lip. Two hours later and much fettling with hinges and latches and things are much improved, couldn't test drive it due to rain but bouncing the rear up and down seemed a lot quieter.
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Aligning OTS boot lid

Post by mgcjag » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:15 pm

Hi Geoff.. :bigrin: :bigrin: we all know it was your old 70s hairdryer ..not a hot air gun :lol: ...will you be putting all your old filler in the for sale section.....im sure someone may be interested...especially if old 70s filler :bigrin: could be a new thread.." How much filler have you found".....
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#4 Re: Aligning OTS boot lid

Post by DWW » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:55 pm

:bigrin: :bigrin:
Danny

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

TGN
Great Britain

#5 Re: Aligning OTS boot lid

Post by TGN » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:58 pm

Must have been the day for it. Mine needed some quite substantial PO rectification. I could only get 3 corners at a time to fit nicely

Trevor.
62 FHC 8607**, 64 Panhard 24CT, 68 Mini Cooper, Caterham 7, 64 Mini pickup

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#6 Re: Aligning OTS boot lid

Post by DWW » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:05 pm

Have you done it with the rubber seal in situ?
Danny

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic