FHC rear seal (yes again)

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
autoalain
Canada

#1 FHC rear seal (yes again)

Post by autoalain » Thu May 11, 2023 11:14 am

Folks, read many old posts, but just want to be sure, does the "" C """face inwards, doubt it,
I think it may face outwards to keep dust out but want to be 100% sure, Spent 2 hours trying to get
chrome in, fit is crap and does not stay under the rubber too well, will have to glue it like the
previous owner did, scratched my new paint even though I put tape all round to protect it, frustrating
day working, everything on this jag takes 3 times as long as a normal car.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#2 Re: FHC rear seal (yes again)

Post by Series1 Stu » Thu May 11, 2023 12:44 pm

Yes, it's a tricky job but patience and an investment in decent windscreen fitting tools pays off. You get the feeling that the chrome is going to creep its way back out, and sometimes it does during the fitting process, but careful manipulation as you go ensures it stays where you put it. It is necessary to tweak and twiddle with the form and profile as you go - don't expect it to fit straight out of the bag (does anything like this ever fit?).

This is mine, which I did on the kitchen island with kind permission of domestic management. I didn't use any adhesive. It remains to be seen whether it stays in place once it sees active service but it has stayed in place for a year or so up until now.

Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nichmoss
Great Britain

#3 Re: FHC rear seal (yes again)

Post by nichmoss » Thu May 11, 2023 8:21 pm

Although you're mainly talking about the glass seal and chromes, I suppose the question is about the hatch to body seal? If so, the open side faces outwards. When the lid is closed, the seal forms into a channel and this allows any water that gets into the seal to run around until it reaches the drain pipe (on the 3.8, there is one central drain pipe) at the lower where it exits. The seal is locally relieved at the pipe so there is a direct path.

I used a Baines one piece seal for my hatch and this worked well. Most seals that you see being sold are in two pieces. To fit the seal well, you need to remove the hatch as it would be difficult with the hatch in place.

Good luck, Chris
Chris
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Polse7317
France

#4 Re: FHC rear seal (yes again)

Post by Polse7317 » Sat May 20, 2023 11:45 am

I used those press very usefull for fitting the chrom :

Good luck ...
Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic