Roller release bearing (continued..)

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Paul bow
Great Britain

#1 Roller release bearing (continued..)

Post by Paul bow » Mon May 15, 2023 4:11 am

Hi guys.. thought I’d put this post up with regards to the roller release clutch bearing that a few thought I may have problems with noise (metal on metal) and clutch judder.
Just to re-cap The car has a std new Borg n Beck 91/2” clutch, but fitted with a Rob Beere roller release.
After a rolling road running in session and then 31/2 hours after mapping an ecu it performed flawlessly, zero clutch judder and absolutely no noise of the bearing making contact with the clutch fingers (pad removed from the clutch cover for this modification) even when under the car operating the fork by hand making the bearing touch the clutch fingers and spying through the hole in the bell housing you can not ascertain by sound any contact it is at present excellent.

One point is that distance must be maintained between bearing and cover, as the clutch beds in and the possibility of the clutch fingers expanding slightly it may need adjustment, after about 5 hrs running on the rolling road mine needed to be adjusted slightly to keep the 1/8 distance.

Anyhow thought being so many helped out with their experiences I would let you how I got on.
With regards to the carbon bearing I had fail, I can confirm SNG picked this up and could not have done more than they have, nothing short of excellent service, certainly take any issues like this seriously, had plenty of interaction with Julian (ceo) about this, which shows the company clearly really does take its customers business/care seriously … presently it’s with Borg n Beck who are also looking into it, you can read Julian’s post on it as he has updated the findings so far.

For anyone interested in trying to find a GOOD rolling road I can thoroughly recommend Northamoton motorsport, nothing short of excellent, downside book early it’s no secret how good Troy the owner is, they book months in advance doing 2/3 a day, every day !!

..and the car, well now fuel injected, (Jenvey ITB, and ecu black) with Rob Beere putting some magic in to head, larger valves oversize buckets and a mild cam plus some gasket matching etc etc it made 260bhp and 300lb of torque at the wheels, at 5500rpm, should give a spirited drive down the road now..!!👍
Previously...S1 OTS E type (sold)
S1 2+2 manual. (Sold)
S2 rhd OTS full resto finished 8/23
S1 3.8 coupe (full restoration yet to start!)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links