Bonnet wiring loom earths, and to horns ?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
rfs1957
France

#1 Bonnet wiring loom earths, and to horns ?

Post by rfs1957 » Wed May 24, 2023 4:41 pm

Can anyone remember - or see - how their wiring harness distributes the earths within the bonnet, please ?

I can't remember how mine was done, but am refitting the harness complete with the horns that came off the bonnet recently, for painting - unfortunately it wasn't myself that stripped these items out.

I'm pretty sure the LHS horn had this double black, seen here, anchored under one of the horn bracket bolts.

But the harness isn't then long enough to enable the single-black, that's over on the RHS, to reach the same point on the RHS horn - by a long way.

And as there's "too much" harness over on the LHS, I'm thinking that the double-black is/was fastened in the wrong place.

However, there are no obvious places to anchor these earths, if they're not on the horn brackets - BUT why would you want them on the horn brackets anyway, as the horns only require the earth and feed wires that go to their spades to function ?

Am I missing something ?

The indicators and side-lights have their own earths, so do the horns, and so do the headlamps.

So why two consequential earth points to the actual bonnet ?

To avoid a build up of static ?
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links