Page 1 of 1
#1 Rear Bump Stops - which way round, please ?
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:32 pm
by rfs1957
I've searched with every conceivable combination of words, and cannot find the answer I know I have already read here ............ so apologies for the repeat.
Can't find any mention in workshop manuals either.
The much-debated rear-bump-stop rubbers are asymmetrical, i.e. you can have them leaning inwards or outwards.
Can somebody tell me which is the correct orientation, please ?
And also how they know ?!
#2 Re: Rear Bump Stops - which way round, please ?
Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:57 pm
by rswaffie
Hi
Can you post a pic of what you’ve got, as I don’t remember mine being asymmetrical - but it was along time ago so I may be wrong.
The rubber stops on the SNG site look symmetrical to me but that may just be the angle of the picture.

#3 Re: Rear Bump Stops - which way round, please ?
Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:39 am
by mgcjag
Hi Rory....without a car in front of me I think I remember fitting these tilting outboard at the bottom...tilting inboard they cant make contact with the hub...but I may be imaging it....Steve
#4 Re: Rear Bump Stops - which way round, please ?
Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:07 am
by Bob.
This is S3 but AFAIK same applies for earlier models.
Inward facing
Outward facing

#5 Re: Rear Bump Stops - which way round, please ?
Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:09 am
by mgcjag
Nice one Bob

#6 Re: Rear Bump Stops - which way round, please ?
Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:06 am
by rfs1957
Very kind, all these inputs.
That’s exactly what I’d hoped for, that drawing, Bob.
I know loads of people never fit them or even cut the mounting brackets off, but as I am running skinny original tyres and have no clearance issues I’d like to fit them, and correctly.
I always get a good night’s sleep when I ask a question on the Forum, since I know I’ll be able to read the answer over tea in bed at 7am.
Keep it up lads.