Page 1 of 1

#1 Limited slip testing

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:39 pm
by PierreW
Hello . I'm probably going to ask a stupid question.
If the car is lifted on one side and no gear is engaged, is it possible to turn the lifted wheel or is there an immediate blockage? . I tried to turn the wheel which is lifted, transmission shaft turns a little (1/4 of a turn) and after that I can no longer turn the wheel as if a gear was engaged. Is this normal? :scratchheadyellow:
If not what would be the other ways to test and if it does not work properly what would be other symptoms on the road?

#2 Re: Limited slip testing

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:03 pm
by Simonpfhc
Hi Pierre,

There are friction rings that will stop you turning that wheel. However, with some extra effort, you should be able to turn it, although it can be quite difficult.

#3 Re: Limited slip testing

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:43 pm
by PierreW
Thank you so much ! as I had never been in contact with a limited slip differential I did not know how it reacted! so i think it works fine

#4 Re: Limited slip testing

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:57 pm
by Gfhug
Pierre, for all the information on limited slip differentials try a simple search for LSD, then search those results for opposite. I very quickly found the information showing how to test for a limited slip diff, see here:
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=LSD

That’ll give you results for LSD (limited slip differential), then in the box “search these results” type opposite.

That should both help you understand the diffs and how you can use the search function to find lots of useful information. Getting used to how to use the search can be difficult, but a few tries can often get you a lot of pertinent results.

Geoff