Page 1 of 1

#1 distributer for my 4.2, what I am missing??

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:39 pm
by autoalain
Folks, this came in the basket of my 4.2 1967 engine, no points, so what am I missing to make it work?
or does one wire go to positive and the other to ground? never worked with lucas distributor, or is there
some kind of box? could this be from and xj6?? would not be surprised. Thanks Mike.

#2 Re: distributer for my 4.2, what I am missing??

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:26 pm
by bitsobrits
Based on the electronic trigger, it appears to be from a later XK engine circa 1980's, which means the advance curve may well be incorrect for your engine. There should be a number on the distributor body which can help identify it further. If the advance curve is correct, then you will also need the correct control module and suitable coil. You could send it off to one of the distributor specialists for rebuild/recalibration ($), find a used correct one ($$) or go with a 123+ distributor or similar($$$).

#3 Re: distributer for my 4.2, what I am missing??

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:17 am
by abowie
bitsobrits wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:26 pm
find a used correct one ($$)
This would be what I'd do.