Lumpy idle - S2 UK spec - suggestions please

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
db7gtgrigio
Australia

#1 Lumpy idle - S2 UK spec - suggestions please

Post by db7gtgrigio » Sun May 19, 2024 4:27 am

Symptoms

- takes a while to start from cold with choke but once warm will restart immediately just using the key and no throttle
- idles at 700rpm but feels and sounds lumpy. When I put my hands over the exhaust pipes the sound from the RH pipe is a nice quiet even humming sound whereas from LH pipe it makes a loud regular pft pft pft noise.
- has started running rough at higher revs with occasional backfire
- car has had very limited use over last few years (fuel is new)

Points checked - gap correct, faces clean
for peace of mind I changed the old orange lead condenser for a brand new condenser from Distributor doctor -
wire in distributor from points back ultimately to coil looked dodgy so just replaced that
plugs relatively new NGK BP5s
Relatively new copper core plug wires with NGK caps all giving 3 ohms resistance
Just noticed a small exhaust leak between REAR manifold and downpipe

Does the fact that one exhaust pipe is nice and even and the other is rough point more to carburation from cylinders 1,2,3 as opposed to ignition? That would be middle and front carb

any suggestions kindly appreciated
Last edited by db7gtgrigio on Sun May 19, 2024 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris, Sydney AUS
1969 4.2 FHC 1R20280

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Allrand
South Africa

#2 Re: Lumpy idle - S2 UK spec - suggestions please

Post by Allrand » Sun May 19, 2024 5:55 am

Process of elimination, try to determine which cylinder is misfiring by disconnecting or shorting out one plug at a time. Then do a compression test, it will tell you if there's a bad valve or rings. If that's all good, try swapping out the plug lead with another & see if the misfire moves to the other cylinder, that'll tell you if it's the plug or the lead.
Randall Botha
'64 3.8 fhc & '51 Mk 7

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DWW
Great Britain

#3 Re: Lumpy idle - S2 UK spec - suggestions please

Post by DWW » Sun May 19, 2024 11:14 am

I had that happen to me a while ago, cylinder 1 was misfiring, once I cleaned the spark plugs it return to its proper idle, I found the rear carb was running slightly rich and after mixture correction all was fine. If the car was was running ok previously and just not in use for a long while normally giving it a good run may cure the issue.
Danny

1962 S1 3.8 FHC (1012/1798)
2015 Range Rover Sport SVR
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic