Page 1 of 1

#1 Improving Sealing Rubber - Airfilter To Intake Plenum

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2025 9:17 pm
by rfs1957
I don't know if my car is "normal" but, given that slight changes in engine orientation make quite big differences as to how the plenum inlet sits in relation to the air-filter, I'm assuming the air filter orifice is deliberately quite a lot bigger than it would need to be if everything were perfectly centred.

Image

The circa 1990 rubber that had been on my car for some 30 years coped with this quite well, but was a little tired, and when I bought a new one it was considerably thinner.

This made it impossible to assemble the plenum nose, lubed or not, through the rubber without pulling the outer edge of the rubber off the air-box entry.

I knocked up a piece of zinc sheet with an interior diameter (162mm) that was a perfect fit inside the new rubber, and an outside that matches the outer edge of the air-box upper ring (196mm), BUT with a 5mm offset of their centres.

Image

In this way I was able to rotate it until the rubber was under the least possible lateral duress, as its eccentricity means you can optimise the alignment of the plenum-nose within what is effectively a reduced-diameter entry into the air-filter.

Image

I then used the car for 1.000kms with the zinc just sitting on the airbox top, where it sat happily, and effectively, and I think it would have done 100.000km without further attention.

Image

However, I got a new one water-jet cut out of 15/10 stainless plate, that I had powder-coated, and then secured it with one small self-tapper ; you could also glue it with a bead of black SIKA if you didn't trust the seal it was making, but I think that's unnecessary.

Image

If anyone thinks that might be useful to try on their car, faced with a similar problem, they can have my zinc one for free.

Image

#2 Re: Improving Sealing Rubber - Airfilter To Intake Plenum

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2025 1:45 am
by abowie
I superglue the outside flanges of the rubber directly to the canister top.

If I want to take the top off I leave the plenum attached and remove the lot as one unit.

Recently I've had a couple of the aftermarket rubber seals perish and fail very quickly. SNGB are offering a silicone one, which I've just fitted to one of my cars.

#3 Re: Improving Sealing Rubber - Airfilter To Intake Plenum

Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2025 7:29 pm
by 265bhp
Neat idea Rory…..

#4 Re: Improving Sealing Rubber - Airfilter To Intake Plenum

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2025 6:58 pm
by JerryL770
rfs1957 wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 13, 2025 9:17 pm

If anyone thinks that might be useful to try on their car, faced with a similar problem, they can have my zinc one for free.
I'll pick it up when I drop by you, if you still have it. Last time I checked my air filter, or took the plenum off to check the choke linkage, I had a right time getting that sealing rubber fitted to both plenum and cannister :seeingstars:

#5 Re: Improving Sealing Rubber - Airfilter To Intake Plenum

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2025 9:17 pm
by rfs1957
It’s yours …….

Wave some dates past me …….