Page 1 of 1

#1 Ignition Electrical Failure

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2025 11:21 am
by whooper
Hi, I have 1968 series 1.5 roadster in good running order but with an intermittent electrical issue. After running for a while the cars electrics will go completely dead. It is as if key has been turned off. Any electronics that rely on the ignition being on have no power. It can happen randomly while driving, and the car just dies, or when trying to start when warm. The headlights, that I don't think are affected by the ignition circuit, work fine. After a period of time that varies (but up to 2 hours) everything is fine again, ignition has power and I can start the car and drive......... Any ideas on what the issue could be and /or how to chase it down?

#2 Re: Ignition Electrical Failure

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2025 12:05 pm
by tim wood
Does the ignition key seem to get warm?
Overheating and failure of the ignition switch is not unknown

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6885

#3 Re: Ignition Electrical Failure

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2025 12:28 pm
by DWW
I had that happen to me, the key use to actually almost get scalding hot but Luckily ignition was not affected. I ended up installing a 40A ignition relay which solved the problem. If your key gets hot during driving it is possible for the ignition switch to lose contact. This may be the only way to isolate the fault short of bridging the ignition switch by hard wiring it.

#4 Re: Ignition Electrical Failure

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2025 5:50 pm
by mgcjag
Ignition key provides power to fuse 6&7 so you need to check the common points...the white wire from ignition switch to fuse 6 that's linked to fuse 7...so check the white connections....also the brown live into ignition switch.....I'm assuming you have a wireing diagram...when you car fails it's then time to get out a meter or test lamp and check the above....Steve

#5 Re: Ignition Electrical Failure

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2025 1:40 am
by DWW
I also had a fuse go faulty, it was No6 and the fuse wire was making an intermittent connection, that didn't affect the ignition though.

#6 Re: Ignition Electrical Failure

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2025 6:56 am
by mgcjag
Hi Danny....the ignition dosnt go through the fuses but the white from the key switch goes to fuse 6 this linked to fuse 7...so failure on this white or its connection to 6/7 will lose your ignition...ideally use the wireing diagram together with my post above...Steve

#7 Re: Ignition Electrical Failure

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2025 10:44 am
by JerryL770
Whooper - is your ignition switch combined with a steering lock, as per S2 cars?

If so new ignition switches are not available from the usual sources (I think). However, the ignition switch for the old Land Rovers is available and is the same except it does not have a lug on it to align with the correct location in the switch housing. But, it is easy to align correctly. When I replaced mine, it was a very tight fit and I needed to press it in with a G-cramp!

#8 Re: Ignition Electrical Failure

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2025 10:38 pm
by whooper
Tim Wood, No I have not noticed that the ignition key gets warm

#9 Re: Ignition Electrical Failure

Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2025 10:40 pm
by whooper
mgcjag wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 01, 2025 5:50 pm
Ignition key provides power to fuse 6&7 ....Steve
Thanks Will look into that.