Page 1 of 1

#1 Choke cable routing

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:24 pm
by christopher storey
I am just trying to change my "floppy bowden cable" choke cable for a proper stiff one ( no jokes please, I'm too old for that sort of thing) . Can anyone tell me the correct routing for a RHD car please?

#2

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:27 pm
by christopher storey
No offers, anyone?

#3

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:35 pm
by Heuer
Can't you follow the route of the old one? My car is at CMC so can't check myself.

#4

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:57 pm
by christopher storey
David : I've had some helpful photos from Gary Herzberg in the US, which shows me where I was going wrong. My old cable came out into the engine compartment through the orifice on the upper surface of the footwell , but where I had gone wrong was that instead of pointing the cable downwards straight away after it leaves the choke control , , I had routed it tortuously horizontally towards the rearmost face of the bulkhead , and then downwards, which produced some small radius curves and made it stiff

Chris

#5

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:18 am
by mystery type
No offers, anyone?
sorry chris, i did read your post, and could have helped, but thought, christopher storey asking for advice?... must be a trick question :lol:

#6

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:18 pm
by chrisvine
I'm having trouble routing the choke cable for a UK S2. I've seen cables either routed through a hole in the wiper motor recess or through a hole next to the steering column shroud below:

Image

I thought the hole in the recess was used for the double cabled (US) Stromberg cars and the hole near the shroud for the SUs. However the SNG cable (C18126) purchased isn't long enough to reach from the abutment of the centre carb, through the shroud hole, to the attachment on the choke level.

Once inside the footwell, I've routed the cable underneath the bulkhead (I couldn't see a suitable hole to route it up inside the bulkhead) and then up toward the choke level. This is maybe where I'm going wrong.

I had initially tried the routing below but, from Christopher's post, believe that is incorrect and will cause the choke operation to be too stiff:

Image


Does anyone know the correct internal routing for the choke cable or how long the outer cable should be?

Thanks,
Chris

#7

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:05 am
by malcolm
If it helps, with a somewhat murky photo, here's my cable on a series 2 2+2

Image

The cable is below the braided hose, to the side of the frame member. It goes straight through the bulkhead, and comes out the other side just above the parcel shelf level with the ignition switch. It then curves up to the choke knob.
It works fine; a bit stiff on the last part of the pull when getting full choke.

You can see my engine bay isn't as clean as yours!!

#8

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:40 am
by chrisvine
Thanks Malcolm. That confirms the correct hole where the cable passes through the bulkhead.

Although the supplied cable is 2-2.5" too short using this hole so I'll replace with a longer one. Perhaps the S1 and S2 cable lengths differ.