Page 1 of 1
#1 Breather pipe question
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2026 12:19 pm
by 1963S1OTS3.8
So I noticed a couple of days ago that what I have since discovered to be the crankcase breather pipe was practically hanging off at both ends due to splits (it is simple rubber tubing). I've learnt a lot on the forum reading threads on this but want to be sure I am ok to simply replace this with a new piece of rubber and connect the two outlets highlighted in the photo and securing it with a jubilee clip at each end. I did find mention of punching a hole in the lowest part of the pipe, is this something anyone has done? Many thanks.

#2 Re: Breather pipe question
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2026 1:13 pm
by 1963S1OTS3.8
In case you are wondering the pipe from the header tank normally drops down through the engine, it does not live next to the plenum!
#3 Re: Breather pipe question
Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2026 3:23 pm
by mgcjag
Early cars just had a flexi hose to atmosphere I think..later cars had the breather cover as you have.
.a short hose goes to a steel pipe bent and fixed under the carbs another short hose connects to the air box angled pipe you show......oil and moisture vapour corroded the steel pipe....a hole is drilled in the pipe to allow moisture to escape it gets blocked and owners never cleared it...hence corroded pipe.....parts catalogue lists the part numbers....Steve
#4 Re: Breather pipe question
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2026 7:32 am
by 1963S1OTS3.8
Thanks Steve!
#5 Re: Breather pipe question
Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2026 10:33 am
by Gfhug
Andrew, just to say we are encouraged not to use quotes too much as they use up valuable server space. If quotes are appropriate then please edit down to the relevant words or sentence. Thanks
Geoff
#6 Re: Breather pipe question
Posted: Thu Aug 27, 2026 8:59 pm
by 1963S1OTS3.8
Understood, no problem.