Page 1 of 1

#1 Indicator Sound level.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2026 2:17 pm
by Johnben9
Hi Folks
I can't always see my indicator warning light more especially in sunny condition and can barely hear the ticking sound above the engine noise.
I have purchased a 12v sounder which I have wired in, it works but produces a loud tinny cheap sound.
Anyone solved this, to me, problem?
Thanks
John
1967 Series 1 2 + 2

#2 Re: Indicator Sound level.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2026 6:42 pm
by TGN
Put some insulating tape over the buzzer.

#3 Re: Indicator Sound level.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2026 9:34 am
by 44DHR
I had a similar issue with the indicator noise being very quiet, so I just bought a new flasher unit, part number SFB 105 - which being new provided a far clearer noise.
Just a simple plug in unit next to the steering wheel on my car.
Regards,
Dave

#4 Indicator Sound level.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2026 8:59 am
by Johnben9
Thanks for info.
John

#5 Re: Indicator Sound level.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2026 1:48 pm
by Knightrider
I also replaced my dash bulbs with LEDs which helps see the light more clearly....

#6 Re: Indicator Sound level.

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2026 3:42 pm
by rfs1957
This is, to me, a really important subject.

Our flasher warning lights are too weedy to be of any use, and in an OTS at least the clicking from any relay I have ever come across has always been drowned out by wind noise.

I have had adjustable-delay beepers (some guy on Ebay ?) on my motorcycles and scooters for over a decade, because leaving indicators working beyond the intended signalling period on those can be lethal, but whilst they are surprisingly audible, even on a TMax, I found those beepers to be drowned out in the Jag, certainly at any speed.

And they don’t sound appropriate for 1962.

My solution came from Simon at https://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/ or

mailto:enquiries@bettercarlighting.co.uk

I think it is this.

https://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/ind ... ductId=546

He calls it a « Sounder » for search purposes.

It is a pretty Heath Robinson little Bakelite or w.h.y box, which contains a solenoid that simply bangs away on the side of its box ; about as unsophisticated as it gets.

It makes a right racket, tho this can be tempered by providing a softer « anvil » in the form of a rubber strip or similar receiver that you glue opposite the mechanical hammer.

I actually ended up using it brut, as delivered.

Once behind the dash it is not ridiculously loud, and it has an appropriately period mechanical knock that I find concentrates the mind wonderfully when you are changing lanes on the motorway.

You can’t ignore it, you will never forget to turn them off, and aside from queuing in traffic, where it can be a bit tedious, I think my car is much, much safer thus equipped.