Windscreen fitters with experience of the E-type?
-
Knightrider
Topic author - Posts: 112
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2025 7:03 pm
- Location: High Wycombe, UK

#1 Windscreen fitters with experience of the E-type?
Annoyingly, I have a stone-chip that has turned into a 1.5cm crack right in the driver's eyeline of my original screen.
I have spoken to my insurer (Chubb via Footman James), and they have said that their usual windscreen supplier wouldn't be able to source/fit the screen, and that they are happy for me to find someone myself and submit a quote.
Does anyone have any experience with replacing their windscreen on the e-type, and can recommend a supplier/fitter that covers the South (I am in High Wycombe)? Car is a 1966 2+2...
Thanks!
I have spoken to my insurer (Chubb via Footman James), and they have said that their usual windscreen supplier wouldn't be able to source/fit the screen, and that they are happy for me to find someone myself and submit a quote.
Does anyone have any experience with replacing their windscreen on the e-type, and can recommend a supplier/fitter that covers the South (I am in High Wycombe)? Car is a 1966 2+2...
Thanks!
Simon
1966 Series 1 2+2
1966 Series 1 2+2
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#2 Re: Windscreen fitters with experience of the E-type?
Why not let the insurers do it......if it goes wrong it's on them.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Knightrider
Topic author - Posts: 112
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2025 7:03 pm
- Location: High Wycombe, UK

#3 Re: Windscreen fitters with experience of the E-type?
They won't touch it. Have asked me to find someone myself and they will pay.
Suggested that I contact my local Jag dealer. Not sure how much use that would be...
Suggested that I contact my local Jag dealer. Not sure how much use that would be...
Simon
1966 Series 1 2+2
1966 Series 1 2+2
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Gfhug
- Posts: 3857
- Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:08 pm
- Location: Near Andover, Hampshire,in D.O. Blighty

#4 Re: Windscreen fitters with experience of the E-type?
Would Wokingham be close enough? There’s Tom Lenthall Jaguar there, does some work on E Types. Perhaps worth giving him a call and see if he can contact Pilkingtons for a new windscreen.
Geoff
Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Knightrider
Topic author - Posts: 112
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2025 7:03 pm
- Location: High Wycombe, UK

#5 Re: Windscreen fitters with experience of the E-type?
Yes - reasonably close. I was looking at windscreen specialists and didn't think of Jag specialists - will give them a ring.
Simon
1966 Series 1 2+2
1966 Series 1 2+2
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#6 Re: Windscreen fitters with experience of the E-type?
My mistake I mis read your first post....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Gfhug
- Posts: 3857
- Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:08 pm
- Location: Near Andover, Hampshire,in D.O. Blighty

#7 Re: Windscreen fitters with experience of the E-type?
Have you asked around, eg with Pilkingtons or SNGB to find out the availability of the windscreen you need?
Geoff
Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Knightrider
Topic author - Posts: 112
- Joined: Wed May 28, 2025 7:03 pm
- Location: High Wycombe, UK

#8 Re: Windscreen fitters with experience of the E-type?
Pilkington have the correct screen - am just looking for someone with experience to fit it.
Simon
1966 Series 1 2+2
1966 Series 1 2+2
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#9 Re: Windscreen fitters with experience of the E-type?
I used Merlin Motorscreens (07768 661175) who came out to the Windsor area
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#10 Re: Windscreen fitters with experience of the E-type?
It's really not hard to fit the screen, you just need someone who's old enough to have been fitting windscreens when they all used a rubber seal and locking trim rather than bonding them in.
When I needed my windscreen refitted I just asked around local independent windscreen installers until I found someone who'd do it. It only took a few minutes, the most difficult part was refitting the chrome side pieces. Don't be tempted to "upgrade" your old ones for new ones as they'll likely not fit - and cost more than the screen
But do use a new windscreen rubber seal from COHBaines if your current one is old and has gone hard.
When I needed my windscreen refitted I just asked around local independent windscreen installers until I found someone who'd do it. It only took a few minutes, the most difficult part was refitting the chrome side pieces. Don't be tempted to "upgrade" your old ones for new ones as they'll likely not fit - and cost more than the screen
But do use a new windscreen rubber seal from COHBaines if your current one is old and has gone hard.
John
1969 Series 2 FHC
1969 Series 2 FHC
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |


