Removing IRS under Quickjack?

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
Knightrider
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed May 28, 2025 7:03 pm
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Great Britain

#1 Removing IRS under Quickjack?

Post by Knightrider » Sun Oct 11, 2026 1:27 pm

I was chasing the reason that my handbrake keeps losing grip this weekend, and realised whilst under the car that one of my rear brake disks was heavily scored on one side. Quick investigation revealed that the previous owner (who had rebuilt the IRS as part on an ongoing restoration) had fitted one of the brake pads the wrong way round! I thought having bought the car with a refreshed IRS I could avoid having to drop it for a while, turns out I now need to replace the disk...

A couple of questions:

1. Has anyone tried dropping the IRS with the car on Quickjacks or similar? I have standard Quickjacks, lift the car about 24 inches. Am I right that if I take the IRS out sideways, it should have enough clearance? I was thinking of getting an ATV jack to drop it onto.

2. Do the Zeus replacement rear calipers use standard E-type discs and pads, or something different?
Simon
1966 Series 1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Gfhug
Posts: 3870
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:08 pm
Location: Near Andover, Hampshire,in D.O. Blighty
Great Britain

#2 Re: Removing IRS under Quickjack?

Post by Gfhug » Sun Oct 11, 2026 1:42 pm

Simon, one observation is that the IRS can topple easily if not nicely balanced on whatever you’ll put it on.
Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

mgcjag
Moderator
Posts: 9245
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Ludlow Shropshire
Great Britain

#3 Re: Removing IRS under Quickjack?

Post by mgcjag » Sun Oct 11, 2026 2:36 pm

Simon.....yes you can remove the IRS from the side....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
Knightrider
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed May 28, 2025 7:03 pm
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Great Britain

#4 Re: Removing IRS under Quickjack?

Post by Knightrider » Sun Oct 11, 2026 4:41 pm

Thanks. Yes - I have read that it is front heavy, so will either move the jack further forwards, strap it, or both.
Simon
1966 Series 1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic