Recommended engine oil
I bet this has been covered before, but the search tool is rather a clumsy tool it seems, (or I'm doing it wrong) as it brings up every topic under the sun (would it not be better to go to the specific post that is the nearest match rather than a list of all the threads, as some threads are very long and not all posts are relevant)
Anyway, what is the most recommended oil for my 4.2? Millers Z102 Classic Sport 20w50 looks like the right thing (?32.80 for 5l from Frost).
I understand from info read that modern oils have detergents that are not so good for old engines, is that true? What have you got in yours?
For info, I do less than 2000 miles per year, pottering round the Isle of Wight (although do sometimes ?give it the beens?!)
8.5L capacity, is that right?
Recommended engine oil
#1 Recommended engine oil
Last edited by skiday on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Day. Former owner of S1A 4.2 2+2. Current cars; Aston Martin DBS 1968, Ferrari F355 & Fiat Coupe 20vt. Flag of choice; EU
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#2
I am about to do an oil change and will be using Millers Classicsport 20W50 but others use 15W40 or even Mobil 1 but the latter is hugely expensive.
As for the search engine it usually works quite well and you can help it by putting in two words and choosing 'Search all terms' So I put in 'Millers oil' and got this thread: http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... illers+oil
As for the search engine it usually works quite well and you can help it by putting in two words and choosing 'Search all terms' So I put in 'Millers oil' and got this thread: http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... illers+oil
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3
I was told by a very well known classic Jaguar restorer to use Valvoline VR1 20W50 Mineral oil.
You can buy 5L online from Euro Car Parts for ?24.80 inc free delivery. (There is a 20% discount on at the moment on all service items inc oil)
Mike
You can buy 5L online from Euro Car Parts for ?24.80 inc free delivery. (There is a 20% discount on at the moment on all service items inc oil)
Mike
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |



