Page 1 of 1

#1 I give up. help please!

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:32 pm
by andrewh
I am trying to remove the hub and wheel bearings from my IRS Hub carrier on the series one E. However, whilst I have a lovely bells and whistles 20 ton floor press can I find a way to hold the wretched thing whilst I press the hub out, can I flip?

Can someone tell me the easiest way to do this please? The manual rather unhelpfully simply has a drawing of it being pressed out! Any photos would be welcome as well! thx a lot Andrew

#2

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:24 pm
by vipergts
Andrew a visit to Harrys is easy peasy....I fI can do it anyone can. His press is shaped right for the job.

I might even help you.

#3

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:58 am
by andrewh
thats a kind offer Lee which I may well take you up on. I will speak to you off line about it. thanks a lot

#4

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:55 am
by christopher storey
Andrew : it is normally the drive shaft which causes problems and requires a press . If you have already got the hub off the drive shaft splines, then usually it can be tapped out of the hub carrier easily using a wooden drift and a smallish lump hammer . I do it holding the carrier in a Black and Decker Workmate and putting an old cushion underneath to prevent the hub crashing to earth

#5

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:58 am
by andrewh
thanks Christopher

Well rather worryingly the drive shaft fell out but sides! But the bearings and hub are quite tight. Holding it in the press is a hard job without damaging the aluminium but i will try your technique. To be fair, I did have a quick go with a brass punch but assumed it would need a proper press, so maybe I need to try again. Thanks as always and will let you know how I get along :shock:

#6

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:11 pm
by andrewh
well. That was easy after all. Thanks to Christopher and to Lee . I was convinced that I would have to use the bells and whistles press, but in the event all I needed was the MK1 Belter in the form of a ball pein hammer. Thanks to Lee for lending me his hammer, clearly his is better than mine! Anyway, it did afford me the opportunity to have a look at his 4.2 project which is awesome and quite something for me to aspire to. His IRS looks like something from an F1 car. Now all I am worried about is why my splined drive shaft "fell" out of the hub when most others seem to be stuck fast! :?:

#7

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:24 pm
by vipergts
Thanks Andrew...such kind words

Get some new splines and see how they fit onto your shafts. They should slide on if perfectly straight.

#8

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:37 am
by christopher storey
I wouldn't worry too much about the splines provided they show no signs of burring or chattering . The usual reason that they can be difficult to remove is that at some point, particularly in the XJ6 era, Jaguar advised the use of loctite on the splines, and this makes them very difficult to remove without a press and/or heat

#9

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:16 pm
by andrewh
well, now i have a new problem, one of my hub carriers has a crack in it along the lower fulcrum shaft direction. Ummh, rather depressing. Is this a regular problem ?? Can it be welded or are there any replacement available. grrrr

#10

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:51 pm
by christopher storey
Interesting . This is not a common problem but is the second one I've heard of this year, (it was found on my pal's 2+2 ) and when I asked someone what they thought the cause might be, the opinion was that water had got inside the seals and frozen . It was welded up without any problem, the crack being Veed and then line welded and ground to shape

#11

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:09 pm
by andrewh
ok, thanks. I have to say that I would prefer a new one as it is a fairly important part of the rear suspension. I will try to post a photo in due course, but its a very thin hairline crack. Most depressing, in fact it rather caused me to pack up for the day!

#12

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:59 pm
by andrewh
here it is. You can also see that the old electolysis has been at work between the lower wishbone and the alloy

Image

Image

Image[/img]

#13

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:11 pm
by christopher storey
I think it is very difficult if not impossible to find new ones . CMC who did the work on the 2+2 initially were going to convert a S/H XJ6 one, but that has its difficulties, hence the fact that eventually welding was thought the best option

#14

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:22 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Andrew.....for some reason I think that I have seen an add recently in one of the jag mags for a company recasting new rear hubs, from alloy & also another metal of a higher spec......will try to hunt it down......Steve

#15

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:53 pm
by andrewh
thanks Steve. That would be great if you can find it. I am sure it can be sucessfully welded, but if I can get a new one, or another correct original it may be a better bet.

#16

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:34 pm
by mgcjag
Hi Andrew try Denis welch they re manufacture http://www.bighealey.co.uk/category/cat ... suspension

Steve

#17

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:11 pm
by Heuer
Nice one Steve - I will add them to our suppliers links in the Knowledge Base.

#18

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:06 pm
by andrewh
Hey thanks a lot Steve. That's great news. I am travelling at the moment and cannot get a good web feed so will check it out when back on broadbnand. Sounds very encouraging news. Ia ppreciate the help. Cheers. Andrew