Ball pin spigot

Technical advice Q&A
User avatar

Topic author
Springer
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:36 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Norway

#1 Ball pin spigot

Post by Springer » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:05 pm

I am changing the lower wishbone ball pin which when I took them out looked like in the service manual. However, the new ones was a all-in-one part where only the rubber cover could come off. The old ball pin spigot is left in the stub axel carrier and I have difficulty to understand that it is possible to get it off and I am afraid to destroy something so now I ask for help before I do something I regret. Anyone with some experience on this?
Restauration project of a serie 1 1963 model OTS now running proudly

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


mod.200
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:51 am
Location: North Yorkshire
Great Britain

#2

Post by mod.200 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm

The upper seat is an interference fit which requires pressing out,I have successfully removed them using a mallet and drift!Simply drift it out downwards and replace with the "sealed for life" type.[you will need to shorten the original bolts or replace with shorter bolts] An alternative is to aquire O.E. type ball joint kit.
'73 fhc.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

ChrisC
Posts: 1291
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:38 am
Location: Surrey UK
Contact:
Great Britain

#3

Post by ChrisC » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:19 am

I captured this work in my blog post which may help you understand.

http://www.etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=130

Its not hard to do.
1964 FHC 4.2
Etype restoration blog http://connor.org.uk

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
Springer
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:36 pm
Location: Oslo, Norway
Norway

#4

Post by Springer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks guys. Out working a while now. Will give it a try when I am back in my beloved garage. At least now I know how they are supposed to come out.
Restauration project of a serie 1 1963 model OTS now running proudly

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic