Page 1 of 1

#1 2+2 Exhaust system

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:49 pm
by skiday
Hi Folks

I have replaced my exhaust manifold with a lovely new stainless job, but because I have a 2+2 the new second sections don't quite reach the mid/main silencers. I was going to have some new sections about 250mm long made up, but then I realised that I could cut the small stainless flexis out of the old manifold to silencer section, which is not stainless, but in very good condition indeed (as shown in photo) and use them. The question is, is it better to cut up the old silencer and be done with it, or would the old system have a high enough value to make it worthwhile selling it and finding a courier etc. and getting new sections made up?

Image

Thanks

Andrew

#2

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:29 pm
by Heuer
Are you suggesting cutting out the flexi's and using them? If so you may have problems getting a gas tight seal. You really need to have the front ends of the pipe's flared to go over the down pipes and the rear inside the silencer end, again to get a good seal.

Suggest you use Norma/Mikalor s/s clamps as well. Not cheap but they work really well: http://tinyurl.com/7pu9n6m

#3

Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:15 pm
by skiday
Yes, that's the idea. I have talked it over with an exhaust fabricator and it will not be a problem to get a gas tight seal as he will expand the pipe so it will fit into the new system, the only question really is; is it is a waste to cut up a perfectly good section which may be valuable to someone else?

I don't know if it is original, or a replacement, but it is mild steel, although it must be a very high quality grade as there is no rust on it, just discolouration, and it is not painted. From what I see from the suppliers you can only buy stainless steel systems now. From SC parts the section is ?162 in s/s.

#4

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:07 pm
by skiday
Well, in the absence of anyone telling me I shouldn?t, the deed is done. I cut the flexi sections out with all the straight tube fore and aft, had the fabricator match the new and old, and I?m good to go. That?s another job jobbed as my dad would say. So I hope no one will now tell me it was worth loads of money second hand.

#5

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:13 am
by Heuer
Andrew

You did the right thing! It is easy for someone to say "cut it up" but everyone's financial circumstances are different so difficult to advise, hence the lack of replies!