Page 1 of 1

#1 Ball pin spigot

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:05 pm
by Springer
I am changing the lower wishbone ball pin which when I took them out looked like in the service manual. However, the new ones was a all-in-one part where only the rubber cover could come off. The old ball pin spigot is left in the stub axel carrier and I have difficulty to understand that it is possible to get it off and I am afraid to destroy something so now I ask for help before I do something I regret. Anyone with some experience on this?

#2

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
by mod.200
The upper seat is an interference fit which requires pressing out,I have successfully removed them using a mallet and drift!Simply drift it out downwards and replace with the "sealed for life" type.[you will need to shorten the original bolts or replace with shorter bolts] An alternative is to aquire O.E. type ball joint kit.

#3

Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:19 am
by ChrisC
I captured this work in my blog post which may help you understand.

http://www.etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=130

Its not hard to do.

#4

Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:01 pm
by Springer
Thanks guys. Out working a while now. Will give it a try when I am back in my beloved garage. At least now I know how they are supposed to come out.