Series 3 XJ6 ignition

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
jingleycatjaguar
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:05 am

#1 Series 3 XJ6 ignition

Post by jingleycatjaguar » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:08 pm

The Lumenition on my series 1 2+2 has finally died after 20+ years.
I have a series 3 XJ6 distributor and amplifier from a very low mileage car. As my distributor is also worn out I would like to use the bits that I have to replace the lumenition and distributor.

The XJ6 distributor has red and black wires, the amplifier white and white/black wires and two different sized spade connectors. I have searched this site and several others but cannot find how to wire it up. Does anyone have a simple 'this wire to here' explanation please?

Thanks in advance
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

PeterCrespin
Posts: 4561
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
Contact:
United States of America

#2

Post by PeterCrespin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Your distributor sounds wrong. I've done this swap several times and although I'm relying on memory I thought the dizzy came with a twin (white?) lead with pre-formed special twin spade connector (also white?) that plugs into the side of the amp. The other side of the amp module fits to the harness with a similar special twin plug fitting.

True, you can get around both custom plugs if they are missing, just by using suitable individual female spade connectors. But I'm surprised your dizzy isn't a plug ' n play into the amp.

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Topic author
jingleycatjaguar
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:05 am

#3 xj6 series 3 ignition

Post by jingleycatjaguar » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Hi Pete, the distributor did come off a series 3 XJ64.2 as did the amplifier ( I also got the cylinder head). The two wires out of the distributor are rubber not plastic covered but have been cut so I dont know if there was a plug somewhere. Similar with the two wires from the amplifier.

Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


beachbugy
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:59 pm
Location: Derbyshire
Great Britain

#4

Post by beachbugy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:09 pm

Hi what you have there is a late series 3 dizzy with the rubber wires , the red wire goes to the larger spade connector in the amplifier hope this helps

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic