ignition light

Technical advice Q&A

Topic author
00series
Great Britain

#1 ignition light

Post by 00series » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi, would a failing battery cause the ignition light to stay on?

Its a series 2 & has a rebuilt alternator but as of last week the ignition LIGHT is staying on & the dashboard charge dial is showing 'off charge'.

I have had the battery on charge for 2 days but it is still not fully charged, i have tested the battery charger on another battery & it is working fine therefore i know the battery is on its way out - but will a new battery stop the ignition light showing?

Thanks, Bert

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

Post by christopher storey » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:03 pm

Bert : has the battery sufficient charge now to start the car ? If so, even if the battery is substandard , that is not the cause , as the only time I can envisage a no-charge situation arising is if the battery had so much internal resistance that it would accept no charge at all . It is far more likely that the alternator relay has failed/become disconnected. This should on your car be one of two 6RA type relays ( the other is the horns) on the left upper rail of the engine frames . You should be able to hear it click as the ignition is turned on or off

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
00series
Great Britain

Post by 00series » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:49 am

Hi, thanks for the information: the battery is holding charge for a couple of weeks but it won't fully charge & has caused the battery 'faulty' light to appear on the smart charger, so it is time for a new one.

I'll fit a new battery & check the relay's & see if i can get it back to charging.

Regards, Bert

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic