I propose fitting an electric aerial to the rear off side wing of a Roadster. The aerial is 32.5cm long and the bottom part is 9 x 7.5 cm wide and I wish it to be vertical when at full length. The model is a Hishmann HIT Auta 2050.
I am conscious that the spare wheel encroaches into the wing area. Has anyone fitted such an aerial and could someone provide me with dimensions or even photos of where the necessay hole should be drilled, pleae?
Electric Aerial position rear wing Roadster
-
Robin S A Hall
Topic author - Posts: 7
- Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:41 pm
#2
Dear Robin,
There are plenty of photos on the web, such as xkedata.com, jag-lovers.org or this site which show where the electric antenna goes. If you run your fingers over those locations, you'll probably find the captive bolts which hold the relay bracket welded into the inside of the chassis at those locations.
Since you are making your own bracket, it'll dictate where you drill the hole in the chasis or vice versa.
You can determnine what that'd be for a s3 roadster from my photos on the jag-lovers.org website (under the moniker "MarekH" as I have twin fuel flaps on my car and the two sides are symmetrical.
kind regards
Marek
There are plenty of photos on the web, such as xkedata.com, jag-lovers.org or this site which show where the electric antenna goes. If you run your fingers over those locations, you'll probably find the captive bolts which hold the relay bracket welded into the inside of the chassis at those locations.
Since you are making your own bracket, it'll dictate where you drill the hole in the chasis or vice versa.
You can determnine what that'd be for a s3 roadster from my photos on the jag-lovers.org website (under the moniker "MarekH" as I have twin fuel flaps on my car and the two sides are symmetrical.
kind regards
Marek
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
christopher storey
- Posts: 5698
- Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: cheshire , england

#3
Happy New Year Robin ! ( and Congratulations on your Class win in the Liege/Brescia )
You may find this link of some help
http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... wer+aerial
You may find this link of some help
http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... wer+aerial
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#4
Hi,
It must be "fitting aerials to Series 3 Week!" The original aerial has quite a steep angle on the external fitting, to allow it to fit quite wide (far to the right) on the wing. I know nothing about the aerial you describe, but if you want it to fit vertically without fouling the spare wheel, then you will have to make sure your aerial has an adaptor capable of accomodating the steep angle of the wing further out. Despite having fitted an aerial myself, I can't give you exact measurements because; a) my car is a 2+2 FHC and b) it would be very hard to accurately measure the location. In the end, my aerial ended up leaning in slightly to allow it to clear the spare wheel, but as it is a power aerial, this does not get noticed, since the aerial retracts when the car is stationary and I hope people have better things to look at when the car is moving, like which direction are they going! The inward lean is not severe anyway and when I do notice it, I actually quite like the way it follows the basic outline of the car.
Regards,
Simon.
It must be "fitting aerials to Series 3 Week!" The original aerial has quite a steep angle on the external fitting, to allow it to fit quite wide (far to the right) on the wing. I know nothing about the aerial you describe, but if you want it to fit vertically without fouling the spare wheel, then you will have to make sure your aerial has an adaptor capable of accomodating the steep angle of the wing further out. Despite having fitted an aerial myself, I can't give you exact measurements because; a) my car is a 2+2 FHC and b) it would be very hard to accurately measure the location. In the end, my aerial ended up leaning in slightly to allow it to clear the spare wheel, but as it is a power aerial, this does not get noticed, since the aerial retracts when the car is stationary and I hope people have better things to look at when the car is moving, like which direction are they going! The inward lean is not severe anyway and when I do notice it, I actually quite like the way it follows the basic outline of the car.
Regards,
Simon.
Regards,
Simon
Series III FHC
Simon
Series III FHC
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
AussieEtype
- Posts: 635
- Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:59 am
- Location: Canberra, Australia

#5
My car has the original manual aerial in the rear drivers wing with the special external fitting (finisher) that matches the shape of the rear wing. Unfortunately this bit is locked away so I am unable to take a pic of it.
Here are some pics of the hole - if you reference it against other bits of the car like the rear light seam you can work out where is goes.





When looking from the rear of the car the aerial needs to be vertical but when looking from the side the aerial needs to lean back a couple of degrees. If mounted vertical it just looks all wrong.
Garry
Here are some pics of the hole - if you reference it against other bits of the car like the rear light seam you can work out where is goes.





When looking from the rear of the car the aerial needs to be vertical but when looking from the side the aerial needs to lean back a couple of degrees. If mounted vertical it just looks all wrong.
Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Robin S A Hall
Topic author - Posts: 7
- Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:41 pm
#6 Electric Aerial position rear wing Roadster
Thank you all for your generous responses. I feel a little guilty in that I did not make it clear the the Roadster is a Series 1.
I was really hoping someone who has fitted such an aerial could give me guidance not only by picture but also by some measurment to ensure that the aerial is verical and does not encroach on the spare wheel. Nevertheless I am grateful to you all for your advice and guidance. I am now plouging through countless photgraphs!!
I was really hoping someone who has fitted such an aerial could give me guidance not only by picture but also by some measurment to ensure that the aerial is verical and does not encroach on the spare wheel. Nevertheless I am grateful to you all for your advice and guidance. I am now plouging through countless photgraphs!!
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |



