Page 1 of 1

#1 Dipping, Stripping, Baking and Blasting advice.

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:11 pm
by 288gto
Has anybody had any dealings with either http://www.envirostripukltd.com in Tamworth or http://www.paint-strip.co.uk in Preston?

The first is offering Chemical dipping/stripping then I take back to repair followed by re dip and prime.

The second is Bake, Soda blast then I take home to repair followed by dip, bake and prime.

Any feedback, pros and cons, or advice is hugely appreciated as I am somewhat bewildered.

#2

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:55 pm
by christopher storey
The general consensus seems to be that chemical stripping of the complete immersion type is very risky in the long term . The stripper finds its way into crevices from which it then leaches out over a long period and ruins the new paint. Similarly, anything done with blast media requires enormously thorough preparation of the shell afterwards to be rid of all traces of the medium . Not very helpful, I know, but forewarned is forearmed

#3

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:16 pm
by 288gto
Thanks, as said, it seems a minefield so any input is much appreciated, especially from anyone with first hand experience. Both companies say they have experience of E types but it would be great to hear direct from someone on here that may have used them or the process.

#4

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:54 pm
by 1954Etype
We dipped a S2 2+2 bodyshell. Came back looking great over the next few weeks rust starting appearing where two panels butt together. I wouldn't do it again. If I was to do it again, I'd look into soda blasting. I would be concerned about getting all the paint stripper off if using Nitromors etc.

#5

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:41 pm
by Heuer
There is a company that does ice blasting. I am sure there was a discussion on this somewhere on the Forum.

Edit: Yup - here: http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... hlight=ice

#6

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:30 pm
by Dave K
If any company is going to grit blast using any sort of media and then dip the car you can almost guarantee they will have got rid of every bit of grit.
My experience when working in a car plant that had an electrophoretic dip was they wouldn't touch anything unless it was absolutely clean.

The tubs are taken through at least 5 high pressure washes from all angles. If any grit or blast media gets into the dipping tank then the whole process is ruined.

I used Nitromors on my paint for the large panels and then had everything else blasted. I then took most of the stuff into work for dipping, great process and you'll never have to worry about rust it the paint gets pulled inside every panel and box section.

Hope thaat helps a bit with your decision.

Dave

#7

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:53 pm
by vipergts
First hand experience of dipping

Do not do it. Mine went through the whole process inc e-coating.

My car has never got wet since its VERY expensive nut and bolt resto (not Etype) all original metal and a previously Non rusty car

Now I have suspicious bubbles appearing between rolled edges etc.

I have heard from a good source that an owner of a pair of priceless Ferrairis is taking them to task after being dipped.

#8

Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:15 pm
by 288gto
Thanks again for all the great advice. Obviously a very important stage of the restoration so don't want to get it wrong.

#9

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:20 pm
by Malk
We hire out the K?rcher Ice Blasters http://www.icecleaners.co.uk but don't carry out the work although keep getting asked to!!!

Ice blasting is slow but A LOT cleaner, no media mess and won't stretch or ping any panels.

I'm at home dying slowly but hope to be at work tomorrow if you want to call and have a chat about it: 0345-890 3600 opt1

Malcolm

#10

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:52 pm
by Thor
malk,
You might like to look into "crushed walnut media",I used this on my 356 cabriolet,great finish,best I have used,a bit of hoovering and cleaning out of the seams before primer,would not use anything else. :D

#11

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:17 pm
by SteveG
I too had my shell blasted with crushed walnut shells as a media type, very good and am pleased with the finish. The shell was acid etched afterwards and once put back on the spinner and turned over a few times most of the media residue has dispersed.

Would use this method again.

#12

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:19 pm
by JEP41
Hi All,

I online clean my turbines with crushed walnut shells also. 8)

#13

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:56 pm
by 288gto
Thanks "Malk" for the contact number reference ice blasting, I will give you a call. And thanks to those who have suggested the walnut method, something else to look into.