To be honest I am not sure which forum to put this in so hope this is ok. I just want to thank David for the sensible suggestion of fitting an xj6 overdrive in my series1 2+2 instead of a 5 speed. About a 500 rev drop in top when engaged so cruising takes on a totally differnt feel.....and it really does bolt straight on without any alterations to tunnel or drive shaft. Hell of a job taking it all out (and yes you do have to take the timing bracket off it's that tight!) so plan to do all those other jobs ( new clutch, bot end bearings, crankshaft seal etc)at the same time. Do though cut the gear stick down by 3" as it is just too long otherwise.
Simon
overdrive-Cheers to David
-
Simon Bolton
Topic author - Posts: 86
- Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:05 pm
-
PeterCrespin
- Posts: 4561
- Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
- Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Contact:

#2
I forget who I've sold overdrives to on this list and Jag-lovers. Did I sell you any bits?
Pete
Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#3
Simon
I may have suggested it to you but Pete is the great MOD champion. Never done the conversion myself, just echoing Pete's thoughts.
I may have suggested it to you but Pete is the great MOD champion. Never done the conversion myself, just echoing Pete's thoughts.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Simon Bolton
Topic author - Posts: 86
- Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:05 pm
#4
Hi Pete
Did'nt know you were still conversing and you are absolutely right....I got to you the day before you debunked to the States. The o/d is fine and dandy and off to Italy over the Alps for a trip in the spring.
Cheers
Simon
Did'nt know you were still conversing and you are absolutely right....I got to you the day before you debunked to the States. The o/d is fine and dandy and off to Italy over the Alps for a trip in the spring.
Cheers
Simon
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
PeterCrespin
- Posts: 4561
- Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
- Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Contact:

#5
Great news. Remember you now. Built like a cross between a pit pony and a weightlifter as I recall. Or maybe that was someone else who came to the barn. Don't care, I've got your money and I'm 3500 miles away :-)
So you were the last person besides me to see my 66 FHC and 69 OTS before they got nicked...Can you tell me where you were on the night of the 28th of June Sir? :-)
So you were the last person besides me to see my 66 FHC and 69 OTS before they got nicked...Can you tell me where you were on the night of the 28th of June Sir? :-)
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Simon Bolton
Topic author - Posts: 86
- Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:05 pm
#6
Hi Pete
I assume you are not joking about the theft. Not good and I am sorry.
Have to say though officer I cannot remember aforsaid cars but I do admit to a bad memory-all I remember was a scruffy barn with lots of 'dodgy stuff' ready for the boat. (pit pony eh! )--by the way, just refurbished those hubs ready for a new look!
Cheers
Simon
I assume you are not joking about the theft. Not good and I am sorry.
Have to say though officer I cannot remember aforsaid cars but I do admit to a bad memory-all I remember was a scruffy barn with lots of 'dodgy stuff' ready for the boat. (pit pony eh! )--by the way, just refurbished those hubs ready for a new look!
Cheers
Simon
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#7
Simon,Simon Bolton wrote:Hi Pete
Did'nt know you were still conversing and you are absolutely right....I got to you the day before you debunked to the States. The o/d is fine and dandy and off to Italy over the Alps for a trip in the spring.
Cheers
Simon
I know Pete very well you should have said something and I'd have got you a deal
Dave
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
Simon Bolton
Topic author - Posts: 86
- Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:05 pm
#8
Wotcha Dave
Hows it going down in the vale? You're right, I should have checked-he robbed me blind but no matter the job is a good'un and you should have seen the exchange unit I gave him- just hope the americans have a sense of humour.
Hpefully I'll see you in the summer
Cheers
Simon
Hows it going down in the vale? You're right, I should have checked-he robbed me blind but no matter the job is a good'un and you should have seen the exchange unit I gave him- just hope the americans have a sense of humour.
Hpefully I'll see you in the summer
Cheers
Simon
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |



