Page 1 of 1

#1 XK Oil suction pipes

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:21 pm
by 44DHR
I am about the work on my spare E type engine which was run in a 420 using the 420 alloy winged sump.

I have a new E type sump and new baffle plate complete with metal gauze filter to fit, but uncertain on the situation on the oil suction pipe and brackets. I assume the delivery pipe and mountings will be the same, but with the different E type sump, I assume I need a different oil suction pipe, (C21760), but unsure if this locates on different mounting brackets to the 420 suction pipe.

Any ideas ?

regards,

Dave

#2

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:53 pm
by PeterCrespin
You will need the E-type pickup pipe in the larger (4.2) diameter and it mounts to a bracket on the centre main bearing cap as shown in the parts book diagrams.

#3

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:13 pm
by christopher storey
2 pics which show themImage

Image




Incidentally, they also show the engine stand I used which I refer to in your other thread - it is the 227kg/500 lbs one from Machine Mart

#4

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:34 pm
by 44DHR
Thanks Peter and Chris.

My Oil suction pipe assembly, (C21760), complete with it's spring and end sealing plate, plus a big vee bracket and P clips turned from Barrrats yesterday. The only part they can't supply is the clip to secure the pipe to the centre bearing cap, (the vee bracket), strut, (clip is C21850 - any ideas ?). It looks like an exhaust clamp, but with a bolt running through it horizontally to pinch it tight.

Chris, your photos are most useful. The Jaguar E type Parts manual, (Page 9, Plate 2) only shows one P clip on the suction pipe which is attached to a special bracket bolted with two bolts on the Oil pump. I note however you have an "extra" P clip mounting, shown clearly in your final photo, just past midway on the suction pipe towards the centre bearing mounting. Just wondered if this was stock on the later blocks ?

The other mounting on that pipe is the bracket on the centre bearing using the elusive clip I mention above.

regards,

Dave

#5

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:03 pm
by 1954Etype
Chris, you do know that that pipe coming out of the top of the brake master cylinder is wrong (pic 2)? Should be a much smaller diameter.....

#6

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:50 pm
by christopher storey
Very droll, Angus! you had me worried for a while until I saw what you meant

Dave : my engine in fact came from an XJ6 built originally in 1973 , so it may be that in the later 4.2s they added another clip to prevent vibration of the pipe