Rear hub nuts won't budge - advice needed please

Technical advice Q&A
User avatar

Topic author
neil4444
Posts: 809
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: East Sussex
Great Britain

#1 Rear hub nuts won't budge - advice needed please

Post by neil4444 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 am

Hi all,

I'm still stripping down the IRS on my S1 3.8 and can't get the hub nuts to budge. I've removed the split pins and have tried heat, brute force, etc but still I can't move them. Am I turning them the correct way ? Should they all undo anticlockwise or are they threaded according to rotation of the roadwheel (i.e. as per the splined hubs) ?

I've searched the forum but can't find anything related to this problem so any help/guidance would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Neil

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

abowie
Posts: 4151
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:15 pm
Location: Australia
Australia

#2

Post by abowie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:04 am

They are normal threads and undo anticlockwise. They really shouldn't be all that tight. Maybe the PO has Locktited them on. Mine came undone easily.
Maybe try an impact wrench.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1979 MGB (supercharged).
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
neil4444
Posts: 809
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: East Sussex
Great Britain

#3

Post by neil4444 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks Andrew, at least I now know I'm turning them in the right direction. They are SERIOUSLY tight. I did read that they sometimes used locktite on them. Will try impact wrench now.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
neil4444
Posts: 809
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: East Sussex
Great Britain

#4

Post by neil4444 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:48 am

Still won't budge :cry:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


christopher storey
Posts: 5698
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
Location: cheshire , england
Great Britain

#5

Post by christopher storey » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:34 pm

Neil

One of my most useful tools in my rebuild was a 3 feet long length of steel tube ! This, over the end of a socket wrench tended to solve most problems . The torque required for these is usually something in the region of 150 lbs-ft so they can take some undoing, and most normal length levers do not provide enough leverage for people of normal strength . The only other suggestion I would make is judicious use of heat - a hot air gun may help as flame is a bit risky near to the alloy hub carrier unless you are very careful

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
neil4444
Posts: 809
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: East Sussex
Great Britain

#6

Post by neil4444 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks Chris. I too have such a bar but as the IRS is off the car it all just kept moving so had little to lever against. However having spoken to Hutsons I have just applied more heat & more violence - job done :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

PeterCrespin
Posts: 4561
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:22 pm
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland.
Contact:
United States of America

#7

Post by PeterCrespin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:18 am

Did this on Saturday on a rough old FHC and a tip to save fishing about pulling bent bits of split pin out is to just drill down the middle of the stub axle. The pins are quite soft and a sharp bit about 1/4" or less will just destroy the centre section and the rest falls out from the castellations each side. I put the car in first gear and used my 3/4" socket set and breaker bar after the air impact wrench was taking too long chattering away.

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic