Page 1 of 1
#1 where to use a trolley jack
Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:37 pm
by jmgtaylor
before I do expensive damage to my nice car and very straight good condition front frames, where does anyone recommend using a trolley jack at the front end / axle stands ?
Fairly straight forward at the back end.
Mark
#2
Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:00 pm
by Moeregaard
I use a short length of 2 X4 lumber between the trolley jack pad and front cross member, which is often damaged from previous owners' jacking attempts without this protection. The important thing to remember is that the subframe tubing has a thin wall and is not tolerant of jacking loads. I prefer ramps to jack stands, unless doing suspension work, but stands can be placed under the lower A-arm trunnions. Also, raising the car off the front suspension with the dampers removed may damaged the ball-joint boots, so bear this in mind. Please ensure that things are well supported before crawling under!
#3
Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:40 am
by Shaguar
Mark,
I made that expensive mistake, which cost me a bonnet respray, as I jacked my car on the cross member under the radiator

but you learn by your mistakes and in this picture it shows the correct jacking and axle stand points.

#4
Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:08 pm
by Moeregaard
That's where I place my stands. I also chock the rear wheels AND ensure the handbrake is set.
It appears that you have a leaky front main seal!