Page 1 of 1

#1 warm/hot amp meter

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:54 pm
by Erikantwerp
Dear all,

I just had a fantastic ride with the e-type (we had a fantastic day in the (probably last bit of) sun). She behaved magnificently. Thanks David &Co for the tyre pressure advice (32psi) was spot on.

On another small worrying note (may be nothing) . After a 40 minute run, I felt that the amp meter indicator felt rather warm/hot as compared to the other indicators. Probably a silly question but is this normal ? I had the impression something burned (although this could also be my new manifolds which are note yet fully "warmed up".

Any suggestions/comments ??

Many thx as always
Erik

#2

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:00 pm
by Heuer
Erik

There is a huge amount of current passing through the ammeter but I have never noticed one getting warm. One quick thing to check is the connectors on the back of the meter are a tight, clean fit - both the spades and the nuts holding them. Any gaps, dirt or corrosion will act as a resistance and that will make things warm and ultimately smoke! Could be a good time to consider upgrading to a voltmeter?

#3

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:01 pm
by Erikantwerp
David,

many thx. I will check asap.

cheers
Erik

#4

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:29 pm
by Moeregaard
The ammeter should not be warm. Per David's advice, check all connections for tightness and corrosion, but be doggone sure all wiring is sufficiently isolated from the chassis when you're finished. I agree that this is an excellent time to fit a voltmeter.