Page 1 of 1

#1 Problem replacing rivets for clipping door weather shield

Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:23 pm
by Rafa
I bought some new ones (part no. BD26706) from SNG Barrett, and having fitted one I realise there is no room behind the rivet head to re-clip the chrome weather shield holder. The surviving older ones stand proud by just over a millimetre so facilitating clipping, and I guess a very small diameter spacer may have been used to achieve this.

SNG denied a spacer was required. Any tips on how to achieve the gap? For instance are there better designed rivets available? Any spacer has to be quite dimension critical as the pre-drilled holes in the panel are relatively wide at 3/16th.

I can add a couple of photos if necessary, though not quite sure how to do that yet!

Many thanks, Rafa

#2

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:10 am
by chrisvine
The XKs Unlimited catalogue lists washers under the rivets - part no JA-AW105T on page E336.

#3

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:32 am
by Heuer
If you check out Angus's site on 20th August you will see he had a similar problem: http://mossjaguar.com/in-the-workshop.html

He will no doubt be able to explain how he did it.

#4

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:42 am
by PeterCrespin
OK, hands up, I'm lost. What's a chrome weather shield holder and where is it riveted to?

#5

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:05 pm
by 1954Etype
I too am unsure as to what is being referred to but do know that there were washers fitted under the rivet clip thereby raising it on the door chromed on the S2 I have. Looked as though they had always been there. If you need them, fit them.

#6

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:17 pm
by PeterCrespin
I don't even know what model we're talking about. Rafa could you put it in your signature please?

I know there are special rivets for the door card chromes and lamp trims on S1.5-3. I know there is a rubber window seal with a chrome bead on 2+2 cars, but that isn't riveted on it is screwed to the top of the door.

The lower sill chromes are clipped on, not riveted and the only other seal near chrome is the window frame seal but that slides in a groove. The top chromes on OTS doors don't have special rivets either. The chrome trims on LWB doors have a channel in the back that slides over rivets but they don't have anything to do with with weather sealing, whilst the door seal channels on the body are held by rivets but have no chrome.

I've obviously got a blind spot somewhere (Part No. BD1234).

#7

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:24 pm
by Heuer
:roll:

Image

#8

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:59 pm
by Rafa
That's extremely helpful Chris thanks. It adds weight to my discussions with the main UK suppliers, none of whom, so far, supply them.

Best Wishes

#9

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:09 pm
by Rafa
Thanks too to David and Peter. I'll add the car to my signature but meanwhile it is a S3 2+2 1971, US Spec.

I found this through Chris' advice:
Image
http://partsxks.com/i-7083614-ja-aw105t ... asher.html

Number 5 in the diagram, and connected to the correct rivet BD26706, number 4. I could order them but would rather not wait for a US delivery.

#10

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:19 pm
by Rafa
Update: Just been on the phone to Martin Robey where the guy knew what I was talking about straight away, and they supply a washer for the job, part number WA103001/J#.

I will post how I get on to help others who may come up against this.

(Meanwhile Dave, Angus managed to find self-tapping screws for the job, and we discussed the possibility of investigating a bolt and Nyloc nut system.)

#11

Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:22 pm
by PeterCrespin
Heuer wrote::roll:

Image
Rafa be careful. The rivet you and Chris are referencing is for the internal door card trim (26706-1). That's the rivet I thought you were talking about but was puzzled, as although it has a washer to give room against the padded trim, it is nothing to do with weather seals.

Presumably you were given the external rivets 26706-2 which use no washer and are for the chrome trim uniquely fitted to LWB models holding the glass seal, along with screws on S1 at least. Barratts presumably thought you meant this part, which they correctly said uses no washer. But if you're talking about interior trim as per Chris's diagram, then you do need a washer.

I don't know the difference between 26706-1 and 26706-2 but since you are dealing with small clearances and are already having trouble, I wouldn't get the two mixed up as they are dirt cheap anyway. If you are talking about the external parts not the internal parts in Chris's diagram and are struggling to slide the bayonet slots into place, just offer the trim up in the correct position and rivet in place. If you ever need to replace the seal in your lifetime you can just drill them out?

Pete

#12

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:38 pm
by Rafa
Hi Peter, thanks again for your comprehensive reply. Yes it's the external gubbins, clipping part 13 (chrome weather strip holder) to 12 (5 rivets) in your diagram. I am away from UK for a few days but apparently my washers have arrived at home so hopefully I'll get the chance to try them out. If I still have problems I have taken on board various kind suggestions on this post.

For clarity, here's a couple of photos showing an old rivet with a convenient space, and the new one I put on before realising it would not allow re-clipping:


https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4l2h2oq916i3tz/DSC02258.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhcz9gxe86pliti/DSC02259.JPG

#13

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:02 pm
by PeterCrespin
Nice photos. The LWB window seal trims are really a bayonet 'drop and slide sideways' fit, rather than 'clipping' as such. So yes, with a river head tight against the door skin you'll never slide it into place behind. It has been a long time but I *think* my 2+2 Series 1 used pan head screws, which you could back out slightly and then tighten. Could be wrong or they may not have been standard. It was certainly easy to do.

I've often thought of fitting those trims (suitably shortened) to FHC cars which look very slight 'odd' with no chrome whatsoever along the base of the glass.

Pete

#14

Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:13 pm
by abowie
Rafa when you get them can you measure ID OD and thickness please? I'm about to do the same job..

#15

Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:12 pm
by Rafa
Hi Andrew and all, sadly the washers were not remotely specialist, having OD as much as the rivet head, so useless! ID was perfect for the blind side of the rivet. Thickness wise you would have needed about 3, as the gap required is 1.5mm.

So I improvised... I sandwiched two plastic hotel key cards (giving the 1.5mm thickness), cut in half longways, then re-taped together. I drilled a hole to fit the rivet in the centre split, and used this rather 'Heath Robinson' approach as a temporary spacer whilst riveting. The rivets went on as normal and it was very easy to remove the plastic cards afterwards. It worked 5 times and the chrome holder clipped back on with a satisfyingly tight and secure fit.

The sequential photos will make my explanation a lot clearer, I hope:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/90b7gxembt3j2nx/DSC02266.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hqxiikygkop6kn/DSC02271.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/icwulw8y1rq09vi/DSC02275.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2k5isqzrrpam5td/DSC02276.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vebq6hta0og76fy/DSC02283.JPG

Ultimately a very simple solution after a long but interesting journey of enquiry (not just on this post!).

Rafa

#16

Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:57 am
by Heuer
Great work and clever idea Rafa!