Page 1 of 1
#1 Rear axle mystery
Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:34 pm
by Springer
I have now come to that wonderful stage where I was going to put in the rear Axel. But we ran into trouble. The cradle mountings did not fit. The distance between the holes measured cross over from one mounting to the other is about 1/2" wider than the distance between the holes in the chassis.
As can be seen here:

When I measure like this which the the distance between the closest holes in the cradle mouting I find the distance is 9"3/16:
Anyone With a clue what this is. The Cradel mountings are from SNG type C17198..
#2
Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:03 pm
by neil4444
I think a few have experienced this issue. This any help...
http://etypeuk.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... hlight=irs
Regards,
Neil
#3
Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:14 pm
by Dave K
Nothing wrong it takes a bit of heaving and prying to get the holes to line up.
First make sure the cage is supported and loosen off the all the bolts and nuts and using some small tapered pry bars (podgers) you should be able to move the mounting enough to get at least a 1/4 hole and hammer the podger in. Tap the podger home and by that time you should see part of the other hole and then do the same.
I used a jack on the front of the cage to help push it up slightly.
Once both podgers, screwdrivers or whatever are fully in remove one and you should be able to get a bolt in. Takes a bit doing but it will go.
Your next question will be how the hell do the radius arms reach the anchor points on the floor :D The IRS bushes are quite flexible as you will find out.
Dave
#4
Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:20 pm
by Springer
Thanks guys. Seems like I have some work to do. :D
#5
Posted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:29 pm
by abowie
Bolt the rear bushes onto the cage and the front ones onto the body.
Use lots of force.
#6
Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:41 am
by chrisvine
Just a thought - in order to get the initial 1/4 hole overlap that Dave mentions to get the pry bar/podger in. You could try a tourniquet between the outer unused holes in the mounts.
When my IRS was put in, we used a tourniquet between the IRS cage and the roll bar to pull the cage forward in order to fit the radius arms.
Good luck,
Chris