Page 1 of 1

#1 123 Ignition distributor

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:43 pm
by Mark Gordon
The instructions for my 123 distributor state that if the engine is not running, after +/- 1 second the current will be switched off to prevent overheating of the coil. Does that mean that if the ignition is on but the engine is not running, no damage will be done to the distributor's electronics or any other components in the ignition system? I have no intention of leaving the ignition on and then walking away (although I have absent mindedly done that in the past), but I know that Pertronix Ignitor 1 electronic ignitions warn that to leave the ignition on without the engine running will fry the ignition module. It sounds like that doesn't apply to the 123 distributor.

#2

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:14 pm
by PeterCrespin
I believe that's correct Mark. It's not uncommon for electronic ignition systems to have auto-shut-off, whereas the Pertronix is just a trigger that is wired to pass current as long as it is in circuit, same as points would.

Pete

#3

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:21 pm
by Mark Gordon
Thanks, Pete.