Jockey wheel bearing

Technical advice Q&A
User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2650
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#1 Jockey wheel bearing

Post by andrewh » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:36 pm

I am just preparing my drive belt tensioner, jockey wheel, for refitting and I am wondering whether they cause any problems at all? I detect a little play in the bearing, which looks on a preliminary glance to be non serviceable and would like To deal with this now if its likely to be a problem.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Dave K
Posts: 911
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Great Britain

#2

Post by Dave K » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:09 pm

Don't fit it is my advice they are a pain. Use the dynamo or alternator to tension the belt instead.

Because the belts I bought from the usuals are rubbish they stretch in certain points which means the pulley goes back and forth and ended up nearly wearing a hole through my bottom rad hose.

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Moeregaard
Posts: 763
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:23 pm
Location: Thousand Oaks, California
United States of America

#3

Post by Moeregaard » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:14 pm

The jockey pulley uses a sealed double-race ball bearing. When I was overhauling the mechanical bits on my early 4.2, back in 1991, I very carefully pried the front cover off of the pulley, repacked the bearings with lithium grease, and reinstalled the cover. I staked it with a small centre punch in several places to retain it. It gave me no trouble over the next several years, but if you can eliminate it entirely it'll be one less thing to cause a problem.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2650
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#4

Post by andrewh » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:15 pm

Ah. Right I wasn't expecting that. Anyone else? Thanks Dave
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2650
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#5

Post by andrewh » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:07 pm

Thanks Mark as well. I will give this serious consideration, I guess most other cars do not have this contraption so it must be fine to eliminate it.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


paulsco
Posts: 825
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 5:12 pm
Location: Oxfordshire
Great Britain

#6

Post by paulsco » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:13 pm

It's distant memory now, but when I was rebuilding my Jaguar 340 (same pulley) I managed to get a replacement bearing from an ordinary roller bearing supplier. I simply got the bearing number off the side of the bearing.

You might be even able to search using the number on-line.

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2650
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#7

Post by andrewh » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:29 pm

Thanks Paul. Will take a look tomorrow. Cheers
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


Dave K
Posts: 911
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: Worcestershire, UK
Great Britain

#8

Post by Dave K » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:59 pm

paulsco wrote:It's distant memory now, but when I was rebuilding my Jaguar 340 (same pulley) I managed to get a replacement bearing from an ordinary roller bearing supplier. I simply got the bearing number off the side of the bearing.

You might be even able to search using the number on-line.

Paul
The bearings are easy to get, when I rebuilt my car I got the number off the old bearing and contacted BSL who got me a new one.

Thats a tip to anyone restoring their cars don't go to the usuals for bearings they load them up on cost, BSL or any bearing supplier can supply bearings for all cars.

Dave

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2650
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#9

Post by andrewh » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:10 pm

Ok thanks. How does it come out. Is it just pressed out or is there a cap that needs to come off first?
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links


1954Etype
Moderator
Posts: 2744
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:32 pm
Contact:
Great Britain

#10

Post by 1954Etype » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:14 pm

Took mine off as well.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Heuer
Administrator
Posts: 15203
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:29 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire
Great Britain

#11

Post by Heuer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:28 pm

Got rid of mine as well.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

User avatar

Topic author
andrewh
Posts: 2650
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 am
Location: kent
Great Britain

#12

Post by andrewh » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:39 pm

Sounding like that could be the way to go. Thanks guys
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic