Page 1 of 1

#1 Spitting Soot?

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:45 am
by malcolm
My newly acquired series 2, 4.2, spits out gobs of soot when you first start up on choke. This is shown by big deposits on the garage wal behind the car.
Even when hot, and ticking over, if you hold a tissue across the tail pipes, you'll see soot flecks on it.
It's hard to think there is a major issue with the engine; oil pressure is great, ticks over at 40 psi even when hot, engine runs great, is very quiet, doesn't smoke, and oil consumption (including leaks!) is about a pint after 500 miles of mainly (unavoidable) motorway driving.
I think it may be running a bit rich, as it comes off choke quite quickly, and I'll check that when I finaly get a day when it doesn't rain and can open the bonnet with the car out on the drive, but does this sound normal?
Thanks in advance for any help!

#2

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:04 pm
by christopher storey
Quite normal . I think it stems from the condensation which occurs when the exhaust system is cold - it has the effect of washing out the carbon build up in the silencers and resonators. I certainly wouldn't worry about it

#3

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:30 pm
by malcolm
Thanks Christopher, reassuring

#4

Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:37 pm
by Moeregaard
It's just condensate mixing with carbon deposits in the exhaust. A good long road trip will blow much of that stuff out, but any E-Type owner can tell you why backing the car close to the garage wall is a bad thing!

#5

Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:18 am
by Mark Gordon
Jaguars are known to spray to mark their territory! :wink: