Choke cable routing
-
christopher storey
Topic author - Posts: 5698
- Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: cheshire , england

#1 Choke cable routing
I am just trying to change my "floppy bowden cable" choke cable for a proper stiff one ( no jokes please, I'm too old for that sort of thing) . Can anyone tell me the correct routing for a RHD car please?
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
christopher storey
Topic author - Posts: 5698
- Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: cheshire , england

#3
Can't you follow the route of the old one? My car is at CMC so can't check myself.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
S1 OTS OSB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red
2026 Lexus LBX
Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
christopher storey
Topic author - Posts: 5698
- Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:07 pm
- Location: cheshire , england

#4
David : I've had some helpful photos from Gary Herzberg in the US, which shows me where I was going wrong. My old cable came out into the engine compartment through the orifice on the upper surface of the footwell , but where I had gone wrong was that instead of pointing the cable downwards straight away after it leaves the choke control , , I had routed it tortuously horizontally towards the rearmost face of the bulkhead , and then downwards, which produced some small radius curves and made it stiff
Chris
Chris
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
-
mystery type
- Posts: 950
- Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:46 am
- Location: lancashire

#5
sorry chris, i did read your post, and could have helped, but thought, christopher storey asking for advice?... must be a trick questionNo offers, anyone?
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#6
I'm having trouble routing the choke cable for a UK S2. I've seen cables either routed through a hole in the wiper motor recess or through a hole next to the steering column shroud below:

I thought the hole in the recess was used for the double cabled (US) Stromberg cars and the hole near the shroud for the SUs. However the SNG cable (C18126) purchased isn't long enough to reach from the abutment of the centre carb, through the shroud hole, to the attachment on the choke level.
Once inside the footwell, I've routed the cable underneath the bulkhead (I couldn't see a suitable hole to route it up inside the bulkhead) and then up toward the choke level. This is maybe where I'm going wrong.
I had initially tried the routing below but, from Christopher's post, believe that is incorrect and will cause the choke operation to be too stiff:

Does anyone know the correct internal routing for the choke cable or how long the outer cable should be?
Thanks,
Chris
I thought the hole in the recess was used for the double cabled (US) Stromberg cars and the hole near the shroud for the SUs. However the SNG cable (C18126) purchased isn't long enough to reach from the abutment of the centre carb, through the shroud hole, to the attachment on the choke level.
Once inside the footwell, I've routed the cable underneath the bulkhead (I couldn't see a suitable hole to route it up inside the bulkhead) and then up toward the choke level. This is maybe where I'm going wrong.
I had initially tried the routing below but, from Christopher's post, believe that is incorrect and will cause the choke operation to be too stiff:
Does anyone know the correct internal routing for the choke cable or how long the outer cable should be?
Thanks,
Chris
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#7
If it helps, with a somewhat murky photo, here's my cable on a series 2 2+2

The cable is below the braided hose, to the side of the frame member. It goes straight through the bulkhead, and comes out the other side just above the parcel shelf level with the ignition switch. It then curves up to the choke knob.
It works fine; a bit stiff on the last part of the pull when getting full choke.
You can see my engine bay isn't as clean as yours!!

The cable is below the braided hose, to the side of the frame member. It goes straight through the bulkhead, and comes out the other side just above the parcel shelf level with the ignition switch. It then curves up to the choke knob.
It works fine; a bit stiff on the last part of the pull when getting full choke.
You can see my engine bay isn't as clean as yours!!
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |
#8
Thanks Malcolm. That confirms the correct hole where the cable passes through the bulkhead.
Although the supplied cable is 2-2.5" too short using this hole so I'll replace with a longer one. Perhaps the S1 and S2 cable lengths differ.
Although the supplied cable is 2-2.5" too short using this hole so I'll replace with a longer one. Perhaps the S1 and S2 cable lengths differ.
| Link: | |
| BBcode: | |
| HTML: | |
| Hide post links |


