Page 1 of 1
#1 Series 1 Wiper Motor / Switch wiring puzzle (again, sorry)
Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:38 am
by philwesty21
Apologies for writing on this again, but I have trawled the site and cant find what I need.. I have replaced the loom complete and have come to wire the wiper switch / motor. The switch and motor were in the car before and everything worked, unfortunately I did not remove the old loom so have no pictures..
Here's the problem; I have wired up according to the diagram but I have 5 wires coming out of the motor and there are 6 points on the switch! I am left with a extra wire at the motor end which is blue/green (tag 4 on the switch) where does this connect?
The motor works fine on the bench.
Needless to say there isnt a peep out of the motor at present so this wire seems critical. All the re-con motors I can see online have 6 wires. I have looked at the link for the set up on the MGB-stuff pages which have 5 wires on the motor, but there's 8 tags on the switch in that diagram!
It all worked before changing the loom..
Help me please before I go mad. Any advice gratefully received!
#2
Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:12 am
by christopher storey
It would help if you can identify which wiper motor you have, as the numbers of wires differ . It may be a DL3 - the type is usually etched on the cover plate. It will also help if you indicate which car it is, i.e. 3.8, 4.2S1 or S2 , or 5.3 .
If the car was a 4.2 S1 , the motor should have 6 wires as follows
Green to fuse 7
White to white/light green to switch 5
red to 1.red/light green to switch 3
" 2.red/light green to park switch
yellow to yellow/light green to switch 1
blue to blue/light green to switch 4
brown to brown/light green to switch 6
terminal 2 on the switch should be to earth
On the 6 wire motor the blue goes to the LH brush terminal and to an internal wire, the function of which I cannot remember . If your motor worked on the bench, then one of the wires you used would be red . I think you need to connect the blue/light green from the switch to whatever the other wire ( i.e. not the red ) was which made the motor work
I shall have a look at my S2 to see if that is different , and report back
#3
Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:32 am
by philwesty21
Hi chris,
Thanks for the speedy reply.
Its a square bodied Lucas DL3, DL3G85 is stamped on it, if that helps.
Car is 1965 S1 4.2 FHC.
Its the blue wire I am missing at the motor end.
Phil
#4
Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:28 am
by christopher storey
Phil : bit of a mystery - my S1 ( 1E 20357 ) must be pretty close to yours, as it has a square DL3 and what looks like 5 65 ( i.e. week 5 of 1965 ) on it - I suspect your G is a later replacement , or alternatively if your car was originally LHD it may be the later square motor ( DL3A etc ) which had the park switch located in the gear housing rather than controlled by the knurled knob at the front of the bulkhead by the heater valve. . Mine definitely has 6 wires
A mystery is that the later square motor is shown on the wiring diagram ( PX .s.29 in the Factory manual ) as having only 4 wires , Black to earth , green to fuse , red to red/light green to switch 4, brown to brown/light green to switch 1 , with switch 2 to earth and switch 3 unused . I suspect this is wrong and relates in fact to S2 cars because the diagram shows electronic tacho which did not come in until the S2
My S2 has the later round motor which has the wires encapsulated in tape so I cannot see them
If it is any help to you the internal wiring of my DL3 is
Yellow to rear winding terminal
White to RH winding terminal
Brown to LH winding terminal
Blue to LH brush terminal and internal wire which I now see from my notes runs to the lower contact on the casing
Red to RH brush terminal
Green to upper contact on casing
This might at least help you to trace a. what you have got and b. what, if anything, you are missing internally
Best of luck with it
#5
Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:39 pm
by christopher storey
Phil : I think I have traced the wiring diagram which shows your set up
It is at
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8496016/Late%20 ... Colour.jpg
This appears to show
Red to Red/Light Green to terminal 4 on switch
Brown to brown to light green to terminal 1 on switch
Black to earth
Green to fuse 7
Yellow to Yellow/Light Green to switch terminal unidentified
Green from fuse 6 to unidentified terminal on switch
Switch 2 to earth
#6
Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:39 pm
by philwesty21
Thanks again.
I'm going to go and play now and will report back on the ? terminals. narrowing the guesswork to 2 is a major leap forward!
Phil
#7
Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:09 pm
by philwesty21
Hi,
No joy I'm afraid. If the diagram is correct then I cant work out the correct combination of connections to the switch. I'm not sure I have green connection to fuse 6. I do have a white/green wire that doesnt seem to go anywhere though.
If a new motor werent so expensive I'd buy one to see if it works on the standard wiring diagram!
#8
Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:58 pm
by philwesty21
Still persevering with this!
Has anyone got a photo of the wiper switch wiring on a 65 car they could post? preferably someone who also has 5 wires on their wiper motor!
thanks
Phil
#9
Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:41 am
by philwesty21
I have fixed this, so close off the subject...
many thanks to Steve Hunt who advised that I should definitely have 6 wires from the motor. God knows it worked before, but I'm not wasting time thinking about it.
solution: soldered a blue to the same location as the green inside the motor and then wired up the whole thing according to the wiring diagram. Simple really. But without Steve's expert knowledge I would have been stuck. Cheers Steve.
#10
Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:28 pm
by abowie
From memory the blue wire might be the one that goes to the thermal cutout...or I might be wrong.
#11
Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:51 am
by christopher storey
Andrew : yes, it is. I did in fact list the internal wiring in an earlier post. What has been done is to eliminate the cutout. To restore the position, the blue wire needs to be soldered to the lh brush terminal which also has the internal wire to the cutout connected to it